Deco P9 PLC quality (metrics)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-22 09:48:02 - last edited 2022-01-22 09:51:05
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.3

Hey folks,

I'm using three Deco P9 (EU) in my apartment and the connection between two of them isn't great.

They should be using the power line (PLC) but that doesn't seem to work properly. When streaming anything on my TV it gets stuck regularly and needs to buffer, even with low bandwidth streams.

The Internet down link is 400 Mbps, so streams with 2 Mbps shouldn't be an issue. The Deco P9 units are running in Access Point (AP) mode.

I suspect the power lines between the two sockets those Deco P9 units are connected to aren't great and I'd like to get some insight into the signal quality.

The Deco app and the web interface don't offer these metrics. Is there any (undocumented) way to see how good or bad the signal quality between the Deco P9 units in my network are so that I can evaluate whether using a different socket would make sense?

Thanks,

Jochen

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco P9 PLC quality (metrics)
2022-01-26 07:06:18 - last edited 2022-01-26 07:13:12

@joschi83 

Hi, It would be a very useful feedback but I am afraid it is not available now.

If you check under the signal source of satellite units, if it showed PLC/2.4Ghz/5Ghz backhaul, the powerline quality is still acceptable.

For your case, if the TV is connected to the Wi-Fi of Deco, please try to turn off the fast roaming on the Deco APP, and disable the Mesh Technology of TV on the APP.

​​​​​​​

Options
Re:Deco P9 PLC quality (metrics)
2022-01-26 18:01:06

@TP-Link Thanks for your response!

The devices in question are either using wired ethernet (using one of the ethernet ports of a Deco P9 device) or have roaming/mesh already disabled. They also don't move, so they shouldn't be handed over to the next Deco P9 device anyway.

The streaming quality (or network quality in general) still seems abysmal. FWIW, I've been using a TL-WPA8630P before and it was working with a decent network quality. I only bought the Deco P9 to get the WiFi mesh functionality and maybe better network throughput and latency than before.

TP-Link wrote

If you check under the signal source of satellite units, if it showed PLC/2.4Ghz/5Ghz backhaul, the powerline quality is still acceptable.

"Acceptable quality" unfortunately doesn't seem to be good enough for basic streams with a few hundred kbps (not even talking about Full HD or 4K streams, these are hopeless with the Deco P9 devices). sad

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 586

Replies: 2

Related Articles