Archer C7 - How to remove stale DHCP reservations?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-06 13:16:29
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: v1.1.3

I have an issue with stale (old) DHCP reservations.

I have a machine, that had a reservation. Then the MAC address of the network card changed. Now the old entry shows up on the DHCP Client List, and I can't create another one for the same IP address for the new network card.

I believe, it is a scenario that is not supported by the current Archer App, and it is a problem.

Current behaviour:

- You connect  a device

- You create a reservation

- Time passes

- You replace the device, such that it is removed from the network

- The old device is listed in DHCP Client List - whithout any editing options

- The old device DOESN NOT show up on the Address Reservation list (where it could be edited/removed).

Expected behaviour:

- Existing reservations should show up on the Address Reservation list, regardless of currently being connected or not, so that I can remove it.

I have a faint memory, that it worked like this in an earlier firmware version.

It is an issue, because the IP addresses reserved for devices that no longer exist, eat up the adresss space. I alse have port forwarding rules, that need changing because of this.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Archer C7 - How to remove stale DHCP reservations?
2021-12-06 18:28:15

@BalintN 

Basically you should be able to modify/remove these Address Reservations entries from the router's WebGUI:

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-12-11 18:58:36

@terziyski 

Agreed, and my request is just about this.

The Address reservation list should show ALL reservations, regardless of them being connected or not - but it DOESN'T.

So if I have a device that no longer connects to the router, there's no way to remove it from the reservation list.

Options
2021-12-12 09:00:46

@BalintN 

I just realized what you've meant and as far as I used this feature it was working properly.

I agree that regardless of a device been connected or not, it should be listed on the Address Reservation list so it could be edited or deleted.

Otherwise you have to reset device to factory defaults to be able to clear the invisible records.

You can email technical support to be advised on this issue.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-12-12 21:53:19

@terziyski 

Yeah. I think in the past it used to work as I'd expect it, I performed a firmware update recently, maybe it is like this since then.

Options
2021-12-12 22:30:56

@BalintN 

Actually you can confirm if that's the case.

Backup your router configuration, downgrade the FW to the previous version and then restore the configuration from the backup.

Delete the Address Reservations that you don't need and then upgrade to the latest FW version again.

Options
2021-12-12 22:33:39

@terziyski 

Yes, I could, but I won't.

Seeing the data, understanding DHCP, it is clear as day the router UI is broken. If it was OK before, TPLink will be able to find out. This is not my job but theirs.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1527

Replies: 6

Related Articles