Extended network - not connecteing to internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-07 06:07:15
Model: TL-WR840N  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 0.9.1 3.16 v0001.0 Build 171211 Rel.58800n

Hi,

I am using my TP-Link router as a wireless range extender. But the extended network doesn't work. The network is active and the signal strength is good but there is no internet connection. The weird thing is, I am using an ethernet cable from my range-extending router to my laptop and my laptop gets the internet connection through ethernet. Only the wireless extended network doesn't connect to the internet. The router shows it's connected to the internet but all my devices show 'connected without internet'.

Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks in advance.

Options
8 Reply
Re:Extended network - not connecteing to internet
2021-11-07 09:33:37

@Gekkouga 

What's the LAN type of WR840N, Static IP or Smart IP ?

If you've set Static IP, then go to DHCP settings and put 8.8.8.8 as a DNS server:

Reboot WR840N and test.

If the LAN type is Smart IP just reboot the WR840 and test again.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-11-07 10:06:15

@terziyski It's set to Smart. And I have tried rebooting multiple times. It doesn't help.

Options
2021-11-07 10:35:21

@Gekkouga 

What's you main router make and model ?

Can you try to set Static IP and put the 8.8.8.8 DNS like I posted - just to see if that will resolve the issue.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-11-07 11:15:49

@terziyski I don't know. It's provided by the ISP. In any case, that didn't help.

Just to be sure you understood my problem correctly, I don't have an Ethernet connection between my main router and my range extender. My range extender is wireless. I use an Ethernet cable from my range extender to my laptop.

Options
2021-11-07 13:12:59

@Gekkouga 

Yes, I got it right from your initial post.

It's maybe just that your main router and WR840N are incompatible in that mode.

Do you have another router which you can test with, to extend its wireless signal with WR840N in RE mode ?

Options
2021-11-07 15:44:30

@terziyski I have used my WR840N router in RE mode previously and it worked just fine. It's just this one. But it is somehow picking up the signal and passing it on to the ethernet cable.

Options
2021-11-07 16:20:09

@Gekkouga 

That was my point - incompatibility issue. There's no much options to change in RE mode for troubleshooting.

Previously the same WR840N probably was working in RE mode with other routers, but doesn't work with your current one.

The other thing I could think of is to tickle the wireless security options:

Make sure that the main router is using the above security mode and encryption.

Set the static wireless channel on your main router (1,6 or 11) - see how to choose the best one in your case: https://www.metageek.com/products/inssider/

Options
2021-11-07 16:28:03

@terziyski I already have the encryption set to WPA2-PSK and the channel optimised. No luck there.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 571

Replies: 8

Related Articles