Stay AWAY FROM TP LINK esp W8980!!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-05-13 11:10:57
Region : Australia

Model : TD-W8980

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Stay away from this modem!! Modem freezes on load and needs hard-set atleast once a day.

I upgraded from my 'ol faithful billion 7700n for the greed of dual band, NBN future proofing & (so-called) VLAN / interface grouping functionality of the W8980. I got a reply on this forum from the TP link guy saying what I request for the VLAN functionality is not possible – that leaves me with my 2 other points.. but guess what?

I have properly configured ADSL connection, wi-fi interface and disabled all unneeded features like usb and print server.
After a night's worth of download on torrents or newsgroups, I wake up in the morning to find out my shiny new TP link router is frozen, devices not able to access wifi, no LAN devices able to communicate. I even checked out some TP link support forums and it seems to be common issue with some of their other models as well.

You get this for about 119$ from MSY – Please spend it on something more useful!

I've put my billion 7700n back and configured the W8980 as a WAP.

Thanks TP-Link!!!!!!! :mad:
Options
2 Reply
Re:Stay AWAY FROM TP LINK esp W8980!!
2013-05-17 21:38:29
Haven't had it freeze BUT speed is less than my Netgear I wanted to replace AND NAT loopback doesn't work and after the latest and only firmware upgrade you can't access it by SSH to change things so it does. TPLink just don't seem interested in improving this device.
Options
Couldn't agree more!
2013-06-25 05:40:35
TP-Link like so many other companies have grown to the point that all they see is £/$ signs, no interest in the customer at all!

This will work for a while, but as word gets out and the bank balance starts to fall it will be too late to recover!

I decided to give TP-Link a chance after getting fed up with other "larger" companies producing products then failing to update them even when they admit they don't work as they should! Instead they seem more interested in producing "new" products that look better on paper! Obviously the pen pushers don't realise that reputation is everything, especially in the current climate where people have little spare cash and any device purchased is expected to work for years, people just don't have money to waste!

I work for a large FE College and often get asked to recommend hardware... College policy states we should not promote products, I therefore I advice our 1000's of staff/students of what they should avoid... Guess who's now firmly on that list! Current customers will get wise to your ways and the next generation will just avoid your products entirely as I'm sure I'm not the only one giving this advice!

Good luck for the future, your going to need it!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 563

Replies: 2

Related Articles