How to share payed Hotel internet connections to multiple devices.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-05-12 00:44:35
Region : Netherlands

Model : TL-WR702N

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version : 4.18.114 Build 130314 Rel.39604n

ISP : Hotels....

Region : Netherlands

Model : TL-WR702N

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version : 4.18.114 Build 130314 Rel.39604n

ISP : Hotel....

As airline crew I bought the TP-link TL-WR702N to share my payed hotel internet connection to multiple devices i.e. MacBook, iPhone & iPad and colleagues..., because usually Hotel internet only allows one device per account to be connected.

1st my respect for the TP-Link engineers for making this very usefull nifty little gadget for a price that is hard to beat. THX guys and gals!!!

The set up to do it requires some computer skills to achieve and has ONE LIMITATION to start with...

It only works @ hotels with BOTH LAN internet cables in your room AND WIFI anywhere in the hotel.

1) Access your router via LAN in AP mode and configure the WAN (SSID, WPA_PSK, 8011n and channels used etc) so you can acces your WR702N later by WIFI and test it.

2) Select "Router" mode on your WR702N and reboot it. From this moment on you can only acces it via WIFI or hard reset it.

3) The trick is that the hotel router assigns you an IP lease by your mac address and it does not care whether it does that via LAN or WIFI as long as it sees the right mac adress from either your computer or....yes, your WR702N. Now connect with your computer WIFI to the hotel WIFI. Do NOT log in yet. You may have to walk to the hotel lobby for a good WIFI signal and note & jot down: the WIFI IPv4 address assigned, subnet mask and (hotel) router IPv4 address.

4) Connect again to your WR702N via WIFI and go to the Network MAC clone page. The PC's mac address you see is your computer WIFI card its mac address CLONE it.

5) Go to Network WAN page and SELECT "Static IP", enter your jotted down IP address in "IP adress" box, same with the subnet mask and the hotel router address in the "default gateway" box. Enter for primary DNS 8.8.8.8 and secondary DNS 8.8.4.4 (both Google DNS server's usually better and faster anyway than the local providers DNS servers let alone censorship....). SAVE...

6) Connect your WR702N to hotel LAN cable in your room and while being connected with your computer by WIFI to your WR702N open any page in your browser. And Voila... Your hotel internet log in page appears for you to log in an purchase internet acces with a smile. :) The hotel router thinks it sees your computer WIFI but now you can also make with any other device an internet WIFI connection with your WR702N and share hotel internet.

7) If you want to share only WIFI availible in your room than you will have to purchase a second WR702N and connect it in client mode via LAN to the first WR702N ( see other posts on this forum) -or- , if you have Apple OS-X running connect WR702N in client mode via LAN to your Apple laptop and and share LAN internet via your Apple WIFI (Google it for more instructions)

Have fun and stay connected with the world while enroute ! :)
Options
3 Reply
Re:How to share payed Hotel internet connections to multiple devices.
2013-05-13 15:50:44

MD11driver wrote

[COLOR=#000000]
Have fun and stay connected with the world while enroute ! :)

You are brilliant! This is really helpful!
Options
2013-06-06 18:20:04
Hi MD11driver,
I'm airline crew as wel... I'm a B747driver:). Love to use my little TP link in hotels as wel, for the same reasons. But sometimes it works, sometimes not. Like here, in FRA (I'm doing sim now), it doesn't. Glad to find your posting! But it doesn't work. When I follow your instructions, I get a message: Error5008. WAN IP and LAN IP cannot be in the same subnet. Please insert another IP address. What do I do wrong? I'm not a computer geek; like e.g. the IP I find via 'cmd' and 'ipconfig' on my computer, alternatively I use my ipad; on that you can easily find the IP's - and then of course I access the TP via that ipad. But nothing works. Can you help an old colleague? Groetjes, Jo
Options
2013-06-13 18:56:54

kwikfly wrote

Hi MD11driver,
I'm a B747driver:).

Cargolux? Hope you guys will be able to keep a decent collective working agreement...

Anyway try selecting in Router mode on the Network WAN page in WAN Connection Type:Dynamic IP and reboot. This should work for most hotels as long as the hotel assignend IP range (for example 10.0.0.1 til 254) is NOT the same as your router issued IP range. See ---Advanced settings--- => DHCP=> DHCP settings. (You can change this range too)

Here in Nairobbery my WR702N status page setup is:

\WAN (hotel connection)
MAC Address: xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx
IP Address: 10.0.0.218 Dynamic IP
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 10.0.0.9
DNS Server: 8.8.8.8 , 8.8.4.4

and DHCP settings
DHCP enable
IP range 192.168.0.100 til 199

Same subnet

IF you use dynamic IP assignment than you can no longer use your labtop either via the WR702N -or- in the hotel lobby (with WR702N OFF) on one single account. Only in your room. Hope it works for you.

Happy landings!!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1474

Replies: 3

Related Articles