TD-W8961ND cant access router login page

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TD-W8961ND cant access router login page

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
39 Reply
I confirm the behaviour
2014-07-17 14:48:54

dhquon wrote

I believe I have an answer. I turned off the wireless by using the button on the rear panel. Then, I turned the power off (using the power button) for about 15 minutes to let the modem cool down. After pressing the power button to on, I was able to login.

I have been using only an ethernet connection for a long time before I activated and started using wireless. Using wireless causes the modem to heat up.

I did not have to change anything else.

I can just confirm the bahaviour of the modem. It is a heat problem. I switched it off, waited 5-10 minutes and switched it on and I could access it with 192.168.1.1 without to change any configuration.
Options
Re:TD-W8961ND cant access router login page
2014-07-29 10:37:05
Everytime I want to login to my router's Web-based Interface I must restart my router .

I checked (ping 192.168.1.1) in the command line without any timeouts.

Model : TD-W8901N
Options
2014-07-30 01:42:49
Options
2014-09-19 06:21:07
I too am having the exact same issue with this modem... it is VERY furstrating.
It also will not save settings.... example when I change the default lan address to 192.168.2.1 and click 'save' the gui just hangs and it WILL not save ... when I refresh the page it STILL has the default settings........ what gives????

it's a V2 of this modem running latest firmware.
Options
2014-10-15 06:17:24

irt123 wrote

I too am having the exact same issue with this modem... it is VERY furstrating.
It also will not save settings.... example when I change the default lan address to 192.168.2.1 and click 'save' the gui just hangs and it WILL not save ... when I refresh the page it STILL has the default settings........ what gives????

it's a V2 of this modem running latest firmware.

I come across this thread and its apparent that this is indeed an issue. I have been experiencing the same issue as well and I thought to look for answer on how I can solve this issue when it shows everyone experiencing the same thing. I am always being forced to switch on/off my TD-W8961ND just to access the said router's login page (which in my case is 192.168.1.1).
Options
2014-10-16 16:04:37
Just an update: Was a bit puzzled after re-reading this thread and finally able to understand what user bangbangtang posted before regarding the so-called security feature of the TD-W8961ND. Tried following user jimasek's suggestion to submit a ticket and waited for a representative of TP-Link to reply regarding this thread's concern...

This is what I wrote:

Region: Philippines
Model: TD-W8961ND
Hardware Version: V3.1
Firmware Version: Build 140305 Rel.04531

Good morning. The thing is - am having issues with TD-W8961ND logging in to its router page. Every time I type in 192.168.1.1 to reach its login page - it will try to load then eventually times out before ever reaching the said login page (e.g. I wouldn't be able to reach the page where I need to put in my router's login name and password). Most of the time I end up switching my TD-W8961ND modem/router on/off just so I can access its login page successfully.

I have tried Googling for solutions regarding my issue and I happen to land to your official community forums. Apparently - there were a number of TD-W8961ND users who were experiencing the same issue as I am (in reference - you can find that community thread at: http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?3790-TD-W8961ND-cant-access-router-login-page).

I hope you'd be able to assist us regarding our concern.

A TP-Link representative named Cathy replied:

Dear Customer,

Thank you very much for choosing TP-link. This is Cathy from our TP-Link Technical Support.

Acutally your problem is not an issue.

We have added a security mechanism for these kind of modems that if there is no client logging to the management page for a period of time, the page won't be opened before a restart.
This will not affect the internet. Please don't worry about that.

Then I wrote back:

Hi Cathy,

Thanks for the speedy reply. I am glad to know that this security feature that you mentioned actually exists and that this is not an issue after all. Thanks for clarifying that. :) Have to ask though if this security feature that you mentioned in which modems such as my TD-W8961ND has (where if there is no client logging to the management page for a period of time, the page won't be opened before a restart) can be disabled by end users like me should we choose to do so. If possible - what do I need to do so?

Cathy replied:

Thank you very much for your reply.

Sorry that at this moment we don't have a plan to disable this security mechanism and there is no other way to disable it.

Really sorry for the inconvenience.

I wrote back saying:

Hi Cathy,

Thanks again for the speedy reply. I have no qualms regarding TP-Link's decision on not having a way for end users to disable the security mechanism feature. At least I can now breathe smoothly after being educated regarding this security feature after mistooking it as a bug.

Thanks and more power to TP-Link!
Options
2014-10-31 17:58:54
On its web interface, go to Access Management---UPnP, choose Deactivated and Save.
Now test if it still happens. :)
Options
2014-10-31 18:14:37
Already did before. Didn't work for me.
Options
2014-11-17 14:41:12
got the W8961ND few days back and i have this problem cant login to 192.168.1.1
Options
2014-11-17 16:08:44
If you restart it, you can login, right? Did you try "On its web interface, go to Access Management---UPnP, choose Deactivated and Save."?
Options
Related Articles