Gigabit Network Help - Deco M5 AP Mode Not Working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-12 23:02:19
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.3

Hi All, below is my Home Network for reference. 

I should add that my main and west bedroom units are v2, and the east bedroom unit is v3.

I'd like to put my uints into AP mode as my West Bedroom gets major interference from the balcony, and terrible signal strength from the Main Deco in the Living Room. If my Main Deco is getting 500Mbps up/down on wifi, 900Mbps up/down wired, then the west room is getting 150Mbps at best on wifi. 

The problem I'm having is that AP mode seems to work with only one unit. If I add a second unit the entire network goes down. As well, the main unit still displays that it's acting as a gateway (displays the wifi network created originally in Router Mode). 

From what I thought, I should be able to attached each Deco in a room that routs back to my panel in the closet. From there I attached from the panel to a LAN port on my Modem/Router combo. But that just simply doesn't work. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Gigabit Network Help - Deco M5 AP Mode Not Working
2021-09-13 00:55:40 - last edited 2021-09-13 01:06:52

@davidarice 

You said: "[in AP mode] the main unit still displays that it's acting as a gateway (displays the wifi network created originally in Router Mode)."

In both Access Point and Router modes Deco mesh runs its own WiFi network. You should see same SSID always. You also should have WiFi disabled on ISP modem/router combo, even with Deco in AP mode.

Which means, same SSID as before does not mean Deco still runs in router mode.

Having cleared this misunderstanding, now I can provide recommendations. I assume that after unsuccessful attempt you now have Deco mesh back in Router mode. 

To confirm, Deco mesh can have more than 2 units wired. My Deco mesh running in AP mode has three wired units (Main M9, two Satellite M5s) and one with WiFi backhaul (Satellite M9).

As a first step, I recommend you to review "General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco" document, especially its FAQ section and there, Q3, Q4 and Q5.

If document is of no help in your situation, I would suggest you start slowly, and step by step go from very simple Deco mesh deployment to one you desire, and see at which step it fails. That may help to pinpoint where the problem is.

These are steps I would try, and in that order. If any of them fails, stop and do not continue with the rest:

1. Turn WiFi off at your ISP Modem/Router if it is on. Deco mesh provides WiFi for your house. This step you do not have to undo in any case. 

2. Bring both Satellite Decos to Living Room, do not  connect them by Ethernet cable, power them on one after another, second one after first had its LED go GREEN, and let them connect to Main Deco wirelessly. Verify in Deco app you have all three Deco nodes healthy. Satellite Decos should report WiFi connection to Main Deco, you can check it for each of them in Deco app under Signal Source:

3. Switch Deco mesh to AP mode. You know how to do that, but just in case, here is screenshot from Deco app where this setting is:

4. Verify that you now run Deco mesh in AP mode (check Operating Mode again in Deco app), that you can connect mobile device to Deco WiFi and that your mobile device is getting IP address from ISP modem/router (from its IP range).

5. Power off both Satellite Decos and bring them to where your ISP Modem/Router is.

6. Connect your Master Bedroom Satellite Deco directly to LAN3 Ethernet port of ISP Modem/Router, with short cable of good quality. Let Deco start and wait till its LED is GREEN.

7. Connect East Bedroom Satellite Deco directly to LAN4 Ethernet port of ISP Modem/Router, with short cable of good quality. Let Deco start and wait till its LED is GREEN.

8. Verify that both Satellite Deco are using Ethernet backhaul. In Deco app, open each of Satellite nodes and see what it says under Signal Source. Each should state they use Ethernet:

9. Power off East Bedroom Satellite Deco, disconnect it from ISP Modem/Router, bring Deco to East Bedroom and connect it to Ethernet cable there. Connect other end of cable to ISP Modem/Router LAN4 Ethernet port as you originally had (or planned to). Power on that Deco. Let Deco start and wait till its LED is GREEN.

10. Power off Master Bedroom Satellite Deco, disconnect it from ISP Modem/Router, bring that Deco to Master Bedroom and connect it to Ethernet cable there. Connect other end of cable to ISP Modem/Router LAN3 Ethernet port. Power on that Deco. Let Deco start and wait till its LED is GREEN.

11. Verify that both Satellite Deco are using Ethernet backhaul. In Deco app, open each of Satellite nodes and see what it says under Signal Source. Each should state they use Ethernet:

----------------------

If everything went fine till the last step, you now have the desired setup: Deco mesh in AP mode and all three Decos wired, placed where you want them to be. If one of steps failed, do not proceed with the rest, but reply here with what step failed and either myself or someone else will recommend next steps.

Options
2021-09-13 04:16:34

@Alexandre. 

Thank you for this very detailed step by step. 

I did what you said and got to a state of having all three units sitting next to each other in AP mode as you described, working as they should. But once I got to step 6 the same issues presented themselves. The satellite unit went red, then pulsing red, then blinking red, and then finally Green. But with issues. I used high quality cables from router/modem to Deco. Short jumpers. The unites stay Green for a period of time, then go to red. Alternating between the green and red. I've left them connected for about an hour observing. 

My phone kept trying to connect to the satellite unit, and I could see it get assigned an IP, but then drop it and go to 5G. It's difficult to get into the Deco app since it seems to be wanting to try and connect to a satellite unit, instead of the main unit (which is right in front of me)

If my phone did manage to get assigned an IP and I was able to get into the app, I saw that the units are not displaying Ethernet as the signal source. See grab below. They would sometimes display Living Room or 'Unavailable for current firmware' - but at 2.4GHz/5Ghz, not Ethernet. 

I went a step further and used the second port on the satellite unit and plugged it directly into my laptop. I was assigned a standard IP, and was getting full speed, but only when the units are green. 

Bottom line, when the Decos are set to AP mode and wired directly to the Modem/Router, the network doesn't act as it should. I'm at a loss at this point.

Options
2021-09-13 04:25:23 - last edited 2021-09-13 06:33:44

The only thing I can think of is that the ISP Modem/Router is having trouble with the backhaul. 

Perhaps I should get a separate router to put in  between the ISP modem and Decos. 

Options
2021-09-13 14:36:47 - last edited 2021-09-13 14:38:03

@davidarice 

@TP-Link 

Yes, it appears the ISP Modem/Router is incompatible with Deco mesh Ethernet backhaul. Adding TP-Link for awareness.

If you would like to, you can run one final test to confirm it is ISP Modem/Router and not somehow wiring from it to Living Room Main Deco. That one will be simple: with Deco mesh in AP mode, bring all three Deco units to where ISP Modem/Router is and connect them with short cables directly to ISP Modem/Router Ethernet ports. Connecting next Deco only after previous has LED switched to Green.

Connect them in the following order to the following ports:

LAN2 - Living Room Main Deco

LAN3 - Master Bedroom Satellite Deco

LAN4 - East Bedroom Satellite Deco

It will eliminate everything but ISP Modem/Router. I expect this to fail, but if it does not for some reason, it would be good to know before you start looking for a new router.

If you can get separate router, don't look for fancy models, but definitely go with different brand. Something from TP-Link could be a good first pick. Also, look for a router that does not offer its own kind of mesh, to avoid conflicts with Deco mesh. For example, avoid TP-Link routers that support OneMesh. Did I say, look for simple router models?

When you get new router, try this same test and it'll tell you if new router supports Deco mesh Ethernet backhaul. If it does not, I am assuming you got it with return policy of at least 1-2 weeks and can send back.

Options
2021-09-13 22:00:06

@Alexandre. 

Thanks, Alexandre!

You are indeed correct, that didn't work. The issue must be with the ISP Modem/Router. I've ordered a TP-Link AC1900 and will use that as my main router instead.

If for some reason that still doesn't work I'll report back for visibility, but I suspect I shouldn't have any problems. 

Thanks again for all your help. It's greatly appreciated.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 589

Replies: 5

Related Articles