[M4] - How do I turn off wireless transmission on one node that's acting as an ethernet backhaul?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

[M4] - How do I turn off wireless transmission on one node that's acting as an ethernet backhaul?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-12 11:32:07
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V20
Firmware Version: 2020-09-29

I have one of the 3 units in my office, providing ethernet to my desktop computer. My office is in a concrete room in the corner of the house - there's no benefit to the mesh by having the unit as a wifi router in addition. I misread Deco's marketing and bought the system on the basis that the radio for broadcasting wifi could be turned off without affecting the mesh (my bad) - but I'm now in a situation where I'm looking at alternate systems.

A few years ago this was under discussion for the R&D team to investigate, but nothing since. Is it on the roadmap? How soon will it be available?

Options
7 Reply
Re:[M4] - How do I turn off wireless transmission on one node that's acting as an ethernet backhaul?
2021-09-12 11:39:58

@flavaflav 

Would it not be easier and as quick to just replace the Deco in your office with a Switch (£12 on amazon) and move the Deco to a location that would need it more?

Options
Re:[M4] - How do I turn off wireless transmission on one node that's acting as an ethernet backhaul?
2021-09-12 11:42:04 - last edited 2021-09-12 11:51:37

@Philbert What kind of switch exactly?

To be clear, I''m looking for the mesh radio to stay active, but the wifi broadcast to be turned off. To my understanding they are separate radios and separate protocols.

My office is NOT where the fiber modem or the main deco unit is. That's several concrete walls away. Having my office deco be able to see the other two units provides good max-bandwidth signal, which my previous solution (using an older router with dd-wrt providing client-bridge mode) did not. Mesh is the right tech here, I just want to turn off the wifi from the unit in my office.

See https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/169782, where the TP-Link rep acknowledge the feature and said that the R&D team were to be "reminded" of the feature request.

Options
2021-09-12 12:56:23 - last edited 2021-09-12 12:58:20

@flavaflav 

I think I know what you are asking for now, however its likely not possible and different from what the other post was requseting.

Just to confirm, by mesh you are referring to the WiFi backhaul between the devices.   Broadcast is the SSID itself

You can disable the WiFi backhaul by placing the devices into "Access Point Mode", where it requires a wired backhaul to work correctly (cable runs)

In the other post this image below was added

Deco A is connected via a switch which means its Cabled in and not using the WiFi Backhaul, this is likely in Access Point Mode.   The user requested the ability to disable the WiFi and use the LAN port only.. there is no benefit to having the Deco in this setup and a simple switch would be better for the user.   A 2nd switch would connect via cable to the first switch and offer 4x more lan ports.

If he was connected wireless directly to the main deco, it would be similar to your setup

In your case I'm guessing you want to keep the WiFi Backhaul as you have no cable runs?  However disable the SSID and just use the LAN ports?    If so what you are referring to is called "Client Mode", this is not supported on Deco as is primarily a WiFi mesh device.   By Mesh this means the SSID is shared and roams between all nodes, the only way to stop this is to take a node offline. 

If you are after Client mode you would be better with an AP (something like the WA1201) in client mode, it ill connect to the SSID for you and allow you to plug in wired devices, however wont broadcast anything.  It basically allows wired devices to connect to a wireless network.

However if you can run a cable from the other nearby deco to your office, then a simple switch would suffice for you also  (LS1005G)

Options
2021-09-12 13:47:16

> However if you can run a cable from the other nearby deco to your office, then a simple switch would suffice for you also  (LS1005G)

@Philbert As mentioned, concrete walls :) so the mesh was supposed to be the easier approach. I did have a linksys router running in client mode as mentioned, and it was only able to get 1/2 of the available bandwidth, whereas the decos are getting the full bandwidth available at the modem (which is 35Mb). That said I was running a G router, and just looked into the theoretical vs actual speeds, so that probably explains what I was seeing. I'll try picking up a more modern router that supports client mode (which will be tricky to track down where I live - limited inventory).

Options
2021-09-12 15:38:20

@flavaflav 

If it was G grade then yeah that would totally explain the slow speeds as G is top 54mbps :)

Options
2021-09-12 15:54:59

@Philbert Right, that's what I thought. But I was getting 15Mb through that router, so I figured the mesh was worth a try. Turns out actual best speeds (now that I looked into it) you see on G is around 20Mb, despite the rated 54Mb.

Options
2021-09-13 10:09:43

@flavaflav 

Yeah that's pretty normal to be honest, as with most WiFi connections its "real speed" is around 40% of what its rated at.   AC is usually 866mbps connection, in reality you will get ~400 / 450 at best

So G at 54mbps, you are looking 20/25 in reality

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 899

Replies: 7

Related Articles