Deco Wifi unreliable

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco Wifi unreliable

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco Wifi unreliable
Deco Wifi unreliable
2021-08-10 21:00:37
Model: Deco E4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.1

Hi,

I know lots of people have been complaining about this but I thought I'd start a new thread in the hopes that I might solve my specific issue.

I have a Deco E4 in a relatively small home. I get full wifi reception everywhere in the house. I have an issue with a few devices (PC, 3 x macbook pro's, 2 x iPhones) whereby the internet is momentarily lost, even though I'm still connected to wifi.

Sometimes I need to switch the wifi on the device off and on to get reception back. Speeds are good when connection works.

This is specifically frustrating on the one computer where I have to work through a VPN which stops working when the internet drops (even though the drop isn't even noticable), which necessitates me to stop and restart the VPN.

Zoom/Teams etc calls are also super flaky. We are in a habit of using mobile internet when doing video meetings.

I have played around with some settings without success.

Note - I have connecting to the secondary Deco using an ethernet cable, in which case internet is awesome and stable. This tells me that the issue is neither with the internet itself, nor with the connection between the Deco's. It's specifically got to do with the Wifi. 

Below are screenshots of all my settings in case you notice anything. I have played around with Fast Roaming and Beamforming without much success.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco Wifi unreliable
2021-08-11 02:22:16

@nieldv 

Hi, I would like to follow up on your case by email, and could you please help me check the following details:

1. How often did the disconnection repeat within a day?

2. Would turning off the 2.4ghz, leaving the 5ghz only improve the connectivity?

And please refer to the following suggestions:

1. turn off the Mesh technology on these devices which dropped internet frequently.

2. please also turn off the fast roaming/ beamforming on the Deco APP.

Thank you very much.

Options
Re:Deco Wifi unreliable
2021-08-11 16:12:51

@TP-Link Thanks for the reply.

I have made the changes as suggested and will let you know over the next couple of days whether connectivity improves.

TP-Link wrote

@nieldv 

Hi, I would like to follow up on your case by email, and could you please help me check the following details:

1. How often did the disconnection repeat within a day?

This is hard to quantify as it's not always noticible but quite a few times a day. Regarding the video calls, that's pretty much always unreliable on some devices.

2. Would turning off the 2.4ghz, leaving the 5ghz only improve the connectivity?

Have mde the change, will revert with feedback

And please refer to the following suggestions:

1. turn off the Mesh technology on these devices which dropped internet frequently.

I am giving this a shot. Will revert

2. please also turn off the fast roaming/ beamforming on the Deco APP.

Have done this as well

Thank you very much.

Options