Deco M4 connected but really slow or no Wi-Fi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-01 04:25:24
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.8 Build 20191102 Rel. 58333

Hi everyone, 

I recently availed of a promo from my Internet provider (PLDT) here in the Philippines a package wherein I will get 3 pieces of Deco Mesh Wifi M4R (US).

I received the package a couple of days ago and just set it up today for the weekend. 

Now, I believe I was able to setup the mesh wifi just fine by following the setup on the app (there's strong signal on my phone when I access it), but the internet speed is close to non-existent. The download and upload speed on the app goes from 0 to 12kbps for a second or two, but then goes back to 0 after a while. 

I have tried to load some websites but to no avail due to the fact that the internet connection is abysmal. Connecting to my internet over the normal connection is fine, which I have attached down below:

I have also tried the troubleshooting steps mentioned in here (as I have scoured through different threads already) but the problem still exists. 

Was there a step that I missed here? May someone please guide me on the right direction on how to set this up properly?

Many thanks for your help. 

Regards,
J

Options
8 Reply
Re:Deco M4 connected but really slow or no Wi-Fi
2021-08-01 14:20:09

@Jka21 

Download and Upload numbers that you see in Deco app are not speed test results. They show current WiFi network utilization. They are often low, and they are not real time. Unless you happen to download or upload very large files taking very long time, these numbers have little meaning.

If you are not happy with Deco mesh speed, you'll need to run baseline tests with Main Deco. If these tests provide satisfactory speeds, you can start looking at placements of Satellite Decos. If speed test for Main Deco is not satisfactory, Satellite Decos will not do better.

To run these tests, do the following:

1. Turn off WiFi on ISP router. Not mandatory, but recommended. As long as Deco provides WiFi in your household, you don't need WiFi interference from ISP router.

2. Turn off all Satellite Decos. Of all Deco units, leave only Main Deco powered on.

3. Connect smartphone or laptop by WiFi to Main Deco and run speed test on that mobile device. Ideal position for smartphone/laptop is about 6 feet (2 meters) from Main Deco, in the unobstructed line of sight and keeping smartphone/laptop on the same level from the floor Main Deco is.

4. If previous speed test didn't give good results, connect laptop by Ethernet cable to second port of Main Deco and run speedtest on laptop wired to Main Deco.

Please share what speeds you've got from your tests and I might be able to give few more recommendations on testing if speeds are not good.

>Connecting to my internet over the normal connection is fine

Also, can you be more specific what is your "normal connection" is: by WiFi to ISP router, by Ethernet cable to ISP router, and so on.

Options
2021-08-02 05:10:48

@Alexandre.

Hello, first of all thank you for taking the time to reply to my message! Appreciate it a lot. 

Download and Upload numbers that you see in Deco app are not speed test results. They show current WiFi network utilization. They are often low, and they are not real time. Unless you happen to download or upload very large files taking very long time, these numbers have little meaning. 

I see, I did not notice this but thank you for pointing it out!

If you are not happy with Deco mesh speed, you'll need to run baseline tests with Main Deco. If these tests provide satisfactory speeds, you can start looking at placements of Satellite Decos. If speed test for Main Deco is not satisfactory, Satellite Decos will not do better.

To run these tests, do the following:

1. Turn off WiFi on ISP router. Not mandatory, but recommended. As long as Deco provides WiFi in your household, you don't need WiFi interference from ISP router.

2. Turn off all Satellite Decos. Of all Deco units, leave only Main Deco powered on.

3. Connect smartphone or laptop by WiFi to Main Deco and run speed test on that mobile device. Ideal position for smartphone/laptop is about 6 feet (2 meters) from Main Deco, in the unobstructed line of sight and keeping smartphone/laptop on the same level from the floor Main Deco is.

4. If previous speed test didn't give good results, connect laptop by Ethernet cable to second port of Main Deco and run speedtest on laptop wired to Main Deco.

Please share what speeds you've got from your tests and I might be able to give few more recommendations on testing if speeds are not good.

The thing about the connection right now is that I CANNOT load anything while connected to the Deco Mesh M4. That is the main problem. I could see that it is connected just fine over at the application, but as I have mentioned, no pages would load. Not a single thing - even the speedtest. So I am not really sure how I would show you the speedtest when simple pages just like Google would not load up. 

Also, can you be more specific what is your "normal connection" is: by WiFi to ISP router, by Ethernet cable to ISP router, and so on.

Normal connection is both by WiFi to ISP router and Ethernet cable to ISP router. 

The screenshot of the speed that I sent above is from my desktop which is connected via ethernet cable to ISP router. Normal cellphones all over the house are able to connect to the normal wifi connection just fine. If you need further screenshots (speed over wifi or ethernet), do let me know and I can provide them. 

I am the only one testing out the connection via the Deco app to no avail. Note that I also tried connecting with other phones (using my 2nd phone and other people's phone at home) and they do not load up anything as well when connected to the network that was created by the Deco app. 

I hope this provided more insight to the problem that I am facing. Do let me know if there is anything that I can further clarify. I would really love to use these mesh hardware at home as it will greatly improve my flexibility a lot (with working at home of course) due to the lockdown thing that is going on! 

Hoping to hear back from you. 

Cheers, 

J

Options
2021-08-02 07:01:13

@Jka21 

Hi, I noticed that you are on the local ISP-customized firmware 1.1.8, have you tried to check the ISP whether they could help you update the firmware first.

Have you ever tried to change the operation mode to an access point mode?

--it is under Deco APP>More>advanced>operation mode

Options
2021-08-02 07:15:06
Hi, How do I go about in asking the ISP update the firmware? Is there anything important that I need to mention to them? Yes, I have tried to change the operation mode to access point. Thanks! - J
Options
2021-08-02 09:51:09

@Jka21 

Hi, thanks for the update.

Please also try to change the DNS server to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 to have a look:

How to change DNS server settings on my Deco?

You could have a check with ISP whether there is a new firmware available for upgrade because there is a 1.5.0 firmware released on the Global website with more advanced features.

By the way, could you please send me a private message about your TP-Link ID and the MAC address of your main Deco?

Options
2021-08-03 01:46:47
Hi, Yes, I have already tried to change the DNS server to those you have mentioned. Still did not work, unfortunately. Sure, I will drop you a message. Thank you! - J
Options
2021-08-04 02:14:48

@Jka21 

Hi, thanks for the message.

I checked with your Deco login account, there is no device under the email.

And after checking via MAC address, the Deco is online and has not been linked to any email account.

So I think the Deco has not been set up properly.

What color of the LED on the Deco M4?

Could you please send me a picture of the IPv4 page on the Deco APP?

Options
2021-08-06 00:59:08 - last edited 2021-08-06 00:59:59

@TP-Link

Hi my apologies for the late revert here as I was busy with work for the past few days!

I will send you over the screenshots via private message again just for privacy purposes, and I hope that those would shed some light as to what is happening to the application. 

Some things to note about the screenshots that I will be sending over:

1. I do not see the ipv4 option when I have the operation mode set to "access point"
  2. Thus, I made use of the "router (default)" option as the option selected for "operation mode". 
  3. I am not sure why the email address is not being recognized because as you can see in the screenshot that I sent over, I am logged in just fine.

Let me know if you need anything else!

Thanks again for all the help.

Best,

J

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 934

Replies: 8

Related Articles