Archer A9 connection issues - iPhone 12 can't even see 5GHz

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-06-29 09:55:06 - last edited 2021-06-29 09:59:25
Model: Archer A9  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: Latest

My A9 router has problems with newer Apple devices as under:

1. iPhone 12 Pro Max cannot even see the 5GHz SSID to connect.
  2. MacBook Air 2018 routinely loses 5GHz then connects to 2.4 and 5GHz is no longer visible. On restart of MacBook, it comes back again.

No issues with iPhone X and older iPads and MacBooks

I have tried so many settings but nothing solves it. I didn't have this problem with my mediocre Xiaomi 5GHz.

Options
8 Reply
Re:Archer A9 connection issues - iPhone 12 can't even see 5GHz
2021-06-29 10:05:10 - last edited 2021-06-29 10:05:46

This has been the case since I got the router last year. It has gotten a couple of firmware upgrades but the issue remains. How can a $20 Xiaomi offer better performance? It is very embarrassing too since I am the go to IT person for people nearer to me.

Options
2021-06-30 06:49:46

@Umair. 

Hi, may I know the current firmware version now?

Please show us the 5G wireless settings on the A9 web interface, you may cover the wireless network name and password for any security concerns. You can also try to modify the wireless security to WPA2-PSK, AES as follows, then confirm again:

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-07-04 07:13:14

@Kevin_Z the settings i have tried a bunch.
- band: currently it is ac only but i have tried all other options
- width: i have tried 80, 40, auto
- security: i have tried wpa/wpa2 and currently wpa2/wpa3 
- airtime fairness ans mimo all permutations i think

firmware version is shown in the picture above.

Options
2021-07-04 08:00:34 - last edited 2021-07-04 08:04:13

For the first time I was able to connect my iPhone 12 Pro Max to the 5GHz network. But I had to restart the phone.

I could connect the MBA 2018 after restart too but I have been able to do that before.

The thing to check now is if the iPhone 12 and MBA retina 2018 are able to maintain the 5GHz or at least can see it (without requiring restart) if it disconnects.

I think the key might be channel 48? I think I never tried that before.

But the iPhone 12 connecting to 5GHz (and I hope it keeps connecting at least after restart) is a huge win for me for which I can't thank you enough!

Options
2021-07-05 08:09:50

@Umair. 

Great. Please monitor the connectivity and let me know if the issue is fixed or not.yes

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-07-06 18:25:26 - last edited 2021-07-06 18:35:38

@Kevin_Z Well, it's better than nothing i.e. I have to restart the iPhone after I get back home to connect to the 5GHz. Previously, iPhone 12 Pro Max didn't even see the 5GHz. But both the MBA 2018 and iPhone 12 can't see 5GHz after I disconnect from it (because I'm out or want to connect to another network) unless I restart them (while the older devices iPhone X, iPad Pro 2015, etc have no  problems). However, when I run Wi-Fi scanning using built in diagnostics / AirPort utility, they do scan it but it's not visible in connections.

Options
2021-07-07 18:57:18

@Kevin_Z Another update. TP Link app has the feature to  generate QR code to connect. My iPhone 12 can't see the 5GHz network but scanning the QR code lets it connect. What is going on?

Options
2021-07-12 08:43:21

@Umair. 

To locate this issue and try to fix it, we would like to follow up on your case via email. Please check your inbox and provide the information that we need.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1447

Replies: 8

Related Articles