Archer A6 v2 router recent firmware update affects older MacBook Pro

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-06-17 13:11:53
Model: Archer A6  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: V2_210226

I recently updated my Archer A6 V2 router using the link from my TP-Link Tether app.

It's very handy that the app alerts me to new firmware!

After updating the A6, I found that my MacBook Pro (early 2013) doesn't connect to the internet reliably on either the 2.4 or 5 GHZ networks.

Other, newer devices work fine, but the MBP doesn't. I get partial page downloads, graphics don't come down but text does, pages time out, etc.

Fortunately, I have a TP-Link RE450 access point that works fine with the Mac. 

My solution is to just delete the two A6 networks from the MacBook Pro and let it use the RE450.

I thought I'd report it here in case other people are having similar problems.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Archer A6 v2 router recent firmware update affects older MacBook Pro
2021-06-17 15:17:24

@makuribu

If you're not using RE450 and A6 in OneMesh try disabling OneMesh with the ON/OFF switch implemented in this new FW release and reboot the A6.

Then test if there's any improvement in your MacBook Pro wireless experience.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-06-17 16:25:09

@terziyski 

Thanks for the quick response!

I turned off OneMesh ( AFAIK neither the A6 router (V2) nor the RE450 support OneMesh. Sadly. It would have been nice...)

Unfortunately it did not help my aging MacBook Pro. It still does not fully work with the A6 on either 2.4GHz or 5GHz. Pages still only partially load, or time out.

The MBP still works properly with the RE450, on both frequencies.

Meanwhile the newer iPhones, iPads, MacBook Airs all work well with the Archer A6.

Options
2021-06-17 18:43:26

@makuribu 

Your A6 v2 supports OneMesh for sure - it wouldn't have had on/off switch if it doesn't.

Here's a list of OneMesh supported devices - you can find also RE450 v4 in there.

So, if you have RE450 v4 then you can try to setup OneMesh between those.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-06-18 14:30:29

@terziyski 

I've got an Archer A6 v2, and an RE450 v1.

Neither one is listed as Mesh ready, regardless of the on/off button introduced in the new firmware.

The Tether app barely recognizes the RE450. Latest firmware for it is 2017.

I bought each one a bit too early, dazzled by the promise of Mesh - Real Soon Now. Turns out you need the A6 v3 and the RE450 v4, or the RE550.

At any rate, the MacBookPro works fine with the RE450, and the newer devices play nice with the A6's new firmware.

Why the MBP doesn't like the A6 anymore is still a mystery, but when either one bites the dust, I'll move up to Wifi 6 mesh.

Options
2021-06-18 15:10:58

@makuribu 

Glad you've sorted that out. Although, I wonder if the OneMesh is not supported on A6 v2, why bother implementing an on/off button.

A quick test can be executed to sort this out if you feel adventurous.

You need Wi-Fi Analyzer app installed on your mobile.

Check this story, it's about emitting a hidden wireless SSIDs, which purpose is building OneMesh network.

If you have these hidden SSIDs with the button ON, then OneMesh is supported.

Options