Archer AX20 very bad 2,4GHz performance and problems with Intel network cards?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-16 15:38:12 - last edited 2021-04-16 15:41:39
Model: Archer AX20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I planning replace my C80 with AX20, but many forums/reviews are claiming, that AX20 2,4GHz performs very poorly, bad coverage and low speed.

For example:
"On the 2.4 GHz band, with Wi-Fi 4, the wireless transmission was very stable, but the average speed was underwhelming: just 98.4 Mbps. Competing routers managed to go above 130 Mbps in the same room."

"The old TL-WR841N router in conjunction with these adapters in the 2.4g network always gave out stable 50-55Mbps, the new one gives out a maximum of 32Mbps."

Also seems AX have problems with Intel network cards:
"With OFDMA turned off, the air speed between the two AX clients turned out to be 360-380.
With it on, it drops to 140-150.
Between AC and AX - 310-340 (about the same with AC-AC)
Between LAN and AX - up to 830 down and 750 up"

Is this all true? And is AX20 v1 still under development, as it have not got any updates in this year?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer AX20 very bad 2,4GHz performance and problems with Intel network cards?
2021-04-17 01:35:59

@ksuuk 

My AX20v1 is rock solid with OFDMA and TWT enabled and OneMesh disabled.

Speeds are pretty much up to the advertised.

As long as you are with up to date drivers for the Intel wireless card you shouldn't have any compatibility issues.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:Archer AX20 very bad 2,4GHz performance and problems with Intel network cards?
2021-04-17 10:07:22

@terziyski 

There are devices, which are non upgradable and based Russian 4pda.ru forum (I can't paste external forum links here, use 4pda ax20 in google search and use rus > eng translation), from which I translated these issues, these users are skilled and tested everything, but still, 2,4Ghz performs very badly and despite of using latest drivers and firmware, with OFDMA, the speed drops by half.

What worries me, is that despite of informing support about theses issues, the latest firmware is dated at 2020-10-27.

Options
2021-04-17 13:49:27

@ksuuk 

TBH I haven't read these, but I am sure that in the community you can see some feedback for this model.

After all this is my personal opinion, others may share their thoughts too.

As for the FW, TP-Link should be approached to know if further releases are on the way.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1330

Replies: 3

Related Articles