[New Firmware] Onemesh firmware for Archer AX11000

[New Firmware] Onemesh firmware for Archer AX11000

217 Reply
Re:New Firmware Update---Onemesh firmware for Archer AX11000
2021-05-07 02:48:21 - last edited 2021-05-07 02:48:58

@Kevin_Z 

just FYI Kevin 605 is not listed as a supported onemesh device.

Options
2021-05-07 05:38:10

@xokia  RE605X v1 supports Onemesh, it is in the compatibility list:

https://www.tp-link.com/onemesh/product-list/

Can I have the link you are referring to?

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-05-07 05:48:57 - last edited 2021-05-07 05:49:32

@Kevin_Z did you try clicking on the link you posted? The 605x doesn't show up the 505x is the first one that appears.

i literally took a screenshot of what shows up.

Options
2021-05-07 06:58:46

@xokia  Are you visiting some specific websites, such as US? I guess the RE605X is not available at the moment in US, and that's why you cannot see it on the list.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-05-07 07:09:47

@Kevin_Z 

The OP was referring specifically to the RE650 (AC) model, which has a maximum theoretical 5 GHz link rate of 1733.

Options
2021-05-07 08:45:02 - last edited 2021-05-07 08:46:09

For those thinking of getting an AC model:

As far as I understand it, the AX protocol transmits the data in a more efficient way (uses 2.4 and 5 and better sharing for denser traffic) than AC so despite the theoretical maximums, it's preferable to match AX router with AX nodes especially if you have AX-capable devices (like iPhones etc) which can take advantage of it. Look at any company's mesh systems - they're all the same, no mixed-and-matched protocols.

My thinking is why buy a top of the range AX router (the AX11000) and NOT pair it with an "equivalent" AX capable Mesh Node? When I first started looking I simply filtered out any AC-only devices from my search lists.

Plus, here in the UK, the difference in price between the AC and AX models is currently negligible from many shops and you can pick up the AX version for only £60 (a bargain when most other companies stand alone node add-ons that are also AX1800 are currently priced at £100+).....so it was a no brainer for me.

As an example, currently a well known online shop is selling the RE605X for £60 as mentioned, whilst the AC only RE550v1 is £64 ....go figure.

In fact, I have just ordered another as I think I can improve placement even more with an extra (can now move existing one to above garage for the Nest Cam plus Nest Hello coverage and put the second one towards the back of the house to cover the new deadspot after I move the first one).

The thought did cross my mind that @Maciej has had issues with 2 nodes so maybe when I add this second one I'll have similar issues? It should arrive tomorrow so I'll update what's happening then.

Options
2021-05-07 09:15:12
@Gaffer I’m looking forward to your feedback on this because I have the same setup as @Maciej and it appears that the network is extremely unstable and unreliable especially when it comes to cameras. I have a camera setup on my garage and the network struggles to connect. A reboot will have it working for about 48 hours and then it just drops out. I’ve tried everything regarding fixed channels and fixed bands which work for a short period and then collapse. I’m convinced there is an interference issue within the extender because if I convert the network to a standard extension and disable the 5ghz on the node the network is stabilised.
Options
2021-05-07 09:37:43

I'm using an AX11000 with an RE605X.

The RE605X is mostly serving a couple of cameras and seems to work fine.

I have seen wifi drop out briefly once or twice in the week since I've had this configured, but other than that it all seems mostly stable.

I've got the RE605X set to reboot itself every night (I did this after I saw the first stability wobbles earlier this week).

Hope that helps someone :)

Options
2021-05-07 09:47:03

Hello @Gaffer 

With all due respect, you'll only see a tangible difference (or any difference at all, really) between an AX extender and an AC extender - and this will concern first and foremost efficiency of handling, not raw speed - if you have a ton of client devices, and I do mean a ton. Which is nearly impossible to achieve in the real world.

What you will notice first off is a difference in maximum theoretical link rate, and this seems to be what manufacturers always stress, mainly for marketing reasons. For example, if I set up the RE505X as an access point and connect my AX200 laptop, I get a maximum link rate of 1,2 Gb/s, whereas if I use an RE650 v1 as the access point, my link rate drops to a maximum of 866,7 Mb/s. So far, so logical - both are the maximum values offered by the respective technologies, with the RE505X being hampered by its lack of 160 MHz support; if it had that support, it would offer a theoretical link rate of 2,4 Gb/s.

Now the fun part - when running any speed test on my AX200 laptop with either of the above setups, I always get the same result, in my case around 600 Mb/s. Just doesn't want to be different.

Now, as regards your brave decision to add another extender to your OneMesh config, I too will be awaiting your feedback. Fingers crossed, everything will be ok. If not, you'll join Scott79 and me on the beta testing boat. 

Options
2021-05-07 10:47:44

@Maciej I really don't see the benefit of adding an older protocol node into a newer protocol mesh system but I'm not forcing anyone to do it. If they want to spend more or the same money on an older AC node than a newer AX one (as show from the prices I mentioned) then it's up to them. If speed and latency and responsiveness and reach with lots of traffic were all pretty much the same, we could've all bought AC routers in the first place wink

Anyway, as mentioned, I would recommend AX with AX rather than mix and match. I do find improved browsing on my iPhone especially when family are around all of whom have AX capable phones compared to my previous AC Netgear (which would cause browsing, for instance, to noticeably deteriorate when lots of people were online) which is why I reecommend staying with AX. 

Regarding the second node: it should arrive tommorow but meanwhile I've put the existing one into the garage specifically for the Nest devices near there. They're now rock steady (pretty much no buffering at all with both the Hello and the Outdoor Cam), so I'm hoping I don't share your issues when I add the second. If I do, I am in a position to return it so I'm happy to take the punt laugh

Options
Related Articles