Votes

Feature Request - Guest Network separate DHCP/DNS settings

Votes

Feature Request - Guest Network separate DHCP/DNS settings

179 Reply
Re:Feature Request - Guest Network separate DHCP/DNS settings
2023-03-07 22:32:39

TPLink will never fix this. I am going to buy another system that works properly. It will of course not be TPLink branded. I'll ensure my friends and family know too. TPLink makes flawed products and doesn't fix it.

Options
2023-03-07 23:20:08

several382 wrote

TPLink will never fix this. I am going to buy another system that works properly. It will of course not be TPLink branded. I'll ensure my friends and family know too. TPLink makes flawed products and doesn't fix it.

I've come to that same conclusion. The fact that they would even release a product with this gaping deficiency says a lot.

Options
2023-03-14 18:28:08

this is 2+ year old thread. i guess this isnt going to happen.

Options
RE:Feature Request - Guest Network separate DHCP/DNS settings
2023-03-25 23:54:51
Pleade, add functionality to have custom DNS on Guest network.
Options
[Recommended Solution]Feature Request - Guest Network separate DHCP/DNS settings
2023-04-23 21:50:21 - last edited 2023-04-23 21:52:03

At me to the list of people request this feature. I have an AX6000 and I use my NAS to handle DHCP as it lets me find devices on the network easier with its sorting abilities. The TP-Link router has no sorting (so I have to scroll through everything) and when initially adding a device to the network it won't even allow me to give it a description until the device connects in to the network. I then have to go to the Client List to give it a name (which is strange).

Because of my settings when anyone connects to the Guest Network they do not get assigned an IP Address and have no access to the internet.

Options
RE:Feature Request - Guest Network separate DHCP/DNS settings
2023-04-30 15:18:48
Key feature that needs to be added to the Deco line. Or at the very least, automatically set up the DNS for Guest Network to be a default rather than the user defined server that is internal to the network.
Options
2023-06-17 08:10:50

@TP-Link +1 on this request, same issue.

Finally took the time to setup a Pihole instance, updated dhcp settings in the router to provide that IP as DNS and I find my guest network without internet access.

I don't use Deco DHCP, it's forwarded to the router.

None of the workarounds are applicable:

* changing per device makes no sense, many devices connected plus actual home guests that would need to go through the manual clicks

* changing dhcp to assign both IPs is not a real solution: behavior is not consistent across different OSes, meaning some on the guest could still try to use pihole and fail and some on the main could decide to use router DNS and bypass pihole

please do attend this request!

3 options:

* custom DNS settings for guest network

* always use router for DNS in the guest network, it's the only IP allowed anyway

* allow guest isolation customization so we can whitelist more IPs than the routers

This is an actual blocker. There is no possible workaround, meaning we have to give up on Pihole or on the Guest network.

Options
2023-06-17 17:13:38

Another suggestion: allow Guest VLAN access to whatever IPs come in as DNS server, maybe that's easier than supporting it as configurable.

I've just dumped a few DHCP requests in my router (openwrt) from same device over main and guest network to see if there was any tainting at all that would reveal that request comes from Guest, but I couldn't find any difference.

I guess the only solution (for those that can) is replacing router DNS (as router IP is whilelisted) directly with pihole.

Or setting router DNS as DNS relay to pihole and lose client stats).

Options
2023-06-21 07:03:05
Hi, Can you quantify what "more support from other users" means? This thread has been running for 2 years, and has 100+ replies right now.
Options
2023-06-21 07:52:53 - last edited 2023-06-21 07:54:52

@TP-Link  +1 on this request.

I am using Adguard on my private network. So I needed to change my DNS server to an IP in my LAN.

Doing so, the guest network is unable to access the internet. 

We should be able to change the DNS servers for the guest network.

This is a must have.

I made a review of this product on a YouTube channel ("Les Technos") with thousands of views and I was highly recommending this product. As an IT service provider, I also sold a few of these to my private customers.

Because of this, I will now recommend the Unifi / Ubiquiti solutions.

Options

Voters 112

+ 108 Voters