Can't acces internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Can't acces internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Can't acces internet
Can't acces internet
2021-02-16 06:07:59
Model: TL-WR940N  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Bought this TP-Link router to extend Wifi range from main router.

I have connected it, following the quick guide, I renamed the same as main network (automated when connecting), blue LED comes on to indicate connected but devices can't connect. Wifi signal does hit the dead zone but I seem to have no IP address assigned (that is what my phone says) Laptop simply says can't connect and whden I look at connection properties there is no IP address

I wanted to check the tplinkwifi.net properties but now it is connected to main router I can't access with tplinkwifi.net web address.When I am connected to TPlink router without internet access, browser says can't find page.

I tried making an alternate name so I was sure which router I was connected to, but still no access to internet and no access to router through tplinkwifi.net address

Is there a setting somewhere to ensure we get the same number of IP addresses as with main router?

Is there something I am doing wrong in the setup?

Should I change this to being an access point, even though main router has got Wifi?

Can I operate the TP-link router under a different name to main router?

This is for home use and we don't have more than 15 devices

Thanks

Options
15 Reply
Re:Can't acces internet
2021-02-16 18:30:43

@peterawilson 

If you are targeting wireless extender mode then follow this guide.

If you are targeting AP mode then follow this guide.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-02-22 18:13:10

@Ivaylo  A quick question, as I am away from home and can't try your fix just yet, although it sounds complex. Should I use extender or AP mode?

In your support it says " Log in to the web-based interface of the router. " Is this the extender router or the main one?

For the extender as noted I can't seem to connect to it via tplinkwifi.net once it connects to the main router. So what do I do? SHould I follow these instructions before I connect to main router or after?

Thanks again

Peter

Options
2021-02-22 19:11:11 - last edited 2021-02-28 10:46:33

The difference in these two modes (Wireless Extender and AP) is that when it's in WE mode the 940n device is connected via wireless to your main router.

When in AP mode the 940N is connected to the main router with an ethernet cable.

You have to choose which one to use according to your infrastructure ability.

In both cases you have to connect to 940n web GUI (extended device) to set the chosen mode (whether WE or AP).

How to do that:

Connect your computer to the 940n wireless network (extended device) and open it's web GUI to make this setting following one of the guides mentioned earlier.

if tplinkwifi.net is not accessible then check your wi-fi gateway IP address and open that IP address in your browser to access its web GUI.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-02-28 09:45:24

@Ivaylo 

Thanks again for your second reply.

In order for me to understand better can you answer my questions?

Can I also ask what is GUI?

Many thanks 

Peter 

Options
2021-02-28 10:06:54 - last edited 2021-03-14 21:03:58

@peterawilson 

Sure - GUI is abbreviation for Graphical User Interface. By web GUI I refer to router's web interface seen via web browser on 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 (depends on your configuration).

Options
2021-02-28 10:14:30
In your support it says " Log in to the web-based interface of the router. " Is this the extender router (940N) or the main one? For the 940N as noted I can't seem to connect to it via tplinkwifi.net once it connects to the main router. So what do I do? SHould I follow the instructions you gave initially, before I connect to main router or after?
Options
2021-02-28 11:00:07 - last edited 2021-03-17 02:41:05

@peterawilson 

I've edited the post, so it could be more understandable. The configuration should be made on extended device while you're connected to its wireless network. As for inability to access the extended device via tplinkwifi.net address follow the check your wi-fi gateway IP address link. Then instead tplinwifi.net you can use device's IP address in the browser.

But first you have to decide which mode (WE or AP) you are going to configure.

Options
2021-03-08 06:43:12

@Ivaylo 

One more question please while I prepare to work through your suggestions.

The extender router, do I make it the same name or different from the root router?

Thanks

Options
2021-03-08 08:22:00

@peterawilson 

I presume you are talking about the wireless network names (SSIDs).

I would suggest to make these different so you can determine to which device you are connected and for easier troubleshooting..

Options
2021-03-14 18:20:17 - last edited 2021-03-14 19:27:16

@Ivaylo 

I followed all of your advice (WE connection) and was able to successfully make all the changes you gave.

Then the TP-Link router was still not connected to the internet.

So I went through the quick connect and now when I connect to the TP-Link router it has no IP address in the WiFi settings, the DHCP has enabled, when I disabled it and I can't access it through tplinkwifi.net or the IP address I set.

So I have reset the TP-Link router (again as WE connection), gone through the settings again, but did not do quick link this time. Still no internet connection.

One thing I noted in status was that the WAN was not connected, does it need to be?

I switched to the root router but I had no internet connection, I checked the IP settings and they had changed to be the same as the ones I had set up for the TP-Link router. Why?

What did I do wrong?

Cheers!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2022

Replies: 15

Related Articles