Deco x60 - Ideal Modem/Router/Wireless settings

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-11 13:13:05 - last edited 2021-02-11 13:21:11
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.6 Build 20201013 Rel. 57035

I have a modem/router from my ISP that includes WIFI capability.  I have disabled the wireless feature and am running my Deco units via the modem's DMZ setting.  This allows me to take advantage of Deco's Homecare features and eliminate any potential routing conflicts with the modem.  I statically assigned an IP address at the modem for the Deco plugged into it.  The Deco serves DHCP for my network.  I'm curious what the ideal setup at the modem for the Deco x60 is?  Is utilizing DMZ at the modem the best way to go? My ISP provides me with 1GB down and 30MB up, if that matters.  Thanks.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco x60 - Ideal Modem/Router/Wireless settings
2021-02-11 20:52:16

@imikem 

The ideal networking gear settings is those that work for you.

Three ways to connect Deco running in router mode to ISP modem/router. 

1. Just connect Main Deco to ISP router. Unless you have devices or apps that will suffer from double NAT, that may be the safest way to do. Your network will be protected by ISP router firewall and by Deco firewall, a hacker will have to penetrate them both to cause damage.

2. Configure ISP router in bridge mode and connect Main Deco to it. This is the most kosher implementation, but some ISP routers have quite convoluted process of switching them to bridge mode. If later you have to rollback that, for example you've found Deco does not meet your expectations and you'll be returning it, you may need to go through another convoluted process of switching ISP router back to original configuration.

3. Put Main Deco in DMZ like you did. Honestly, I never thought of it, that is nice idea. It combines "no double NAT" plus easy network configuration rollback.

If I were deploying Main Deco in router mode in home network, I would start with connecting Main Deco to ISP router and doing nothing else. Except turning off router WiFi, of course.

If I find I need to deal with double NAT, before your post I would have tried to configure ISP router in bridge mode. But, now, I'll be puting Main Deco in DMZ. Only if that does not work, I'll switch ISP router to bridge mode.

Personal preferences, of course.

Options