C80 UPnP not accepting clients (other routers work fine)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-31 14:13:50 - last edited 2021-01-31 14:15:02
Model: Archer C80  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4.7 Build 200907 Rel.62218n(5553)

Hi,

I recently moved from a TL-WR841N to Archer C80 and none of my devices are able to use UPnP. I tried with the old router and even borrowed a spare from a friend and I can use UPnP just fine on them. It just seems to be a problem with the C80. I have the latest firmware installed and I've tried rebooting, changing QoS or NAT boost, etc. Nothing seems to make a difference. I'm not seeing anything about UPnP in the system log either.

It has UPnP turned on but always lists Total Clients: 0. Multiple devices (PC and game consoles) are reporting they are unable to use UPnP.

Options
9 Reply
Re:C80 UPnP not accepting clients (other routers work fine)
2021-02-01 05:43:58

@Bite 

Thank you for posting on the TP-Link Community.

Can you please describe in details that how did you test the UPnP is not working on the C80? What is the specific network diagram, is the C80 the main router in the network?

Is the UPnP enabled on the C80? You can check this under NAT Forwarding>>UPnP.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-02-01 11:25:25 - last edited 2021-02-01 15:28:25

@Kevin_Z 

Hi thanks for your reply. My experience was as follow:

The C80 is the only router on my network. I have the C80's WAN connected to my providers ONT via gigabit ethernet. I have two desktop PC's connected to the C80 via gigabit ethernet. I also have various wireless devices but the one in testing question is a console connected via 802.11ac WiFi. I have turned the UPnP off and on on the C80 under Advanced => Nat Forwarding => UPnP and it still does not seem to accept clients. It is set to ON currently. The console device reports " UPnP Not Successful" in its network settings and on PCs it reports UPnP as Disabled in software. I verified that UPnP is enabled on the PCs.

To diagnose first of course I checked that UPnP was enabled on the router. I looked at the System Log on the C80 and saw nothing about UPnP. Then I checked on my phone using the app UPnP Tool on android and I could see the router was enabling and disabling UPnP. However regardless of the status no clients will appear under the list and I am my devices still can not make UPnP connections. I tried changing other settings such as NAT boost, etc. Then I tried to downgrade the firmware to see if it would make a difference and that did not help either so I returned it to the latest firmware again.

Then I turned off everything and and used an A20 that I borrowed from my IT friend. It immediately allowed UPnP connections and shows them under the client list. (Unfortunately I need to return that router as it was only borrowed.) So UPnP does work... just not on the C80.

If you have some specific diagnostic software to test the UPnP let me know I'll be glad to run it, right now all I can use is the build in tools from the console and software on my PC.

Edit: I see that the EU version has an update published on: 2021-01-27 that hasn't been pushed to the US version. Could this have any fixes for UPnP that aren't avaliable to us yet?

Options
2021-02-02 01:04:40

@Bite 

Thank you very much for getting back with the detailed info.

As per your testing, the UPnP settings on the C80 might be different from the A20, we will try to find it out. Can you please confirm what kind of console do you use, what is the brand and name? Does it require any special port to be opened on the gateway router?

If you can find out what specific port it requires to be opened, please try to do port forwarding on the C80 and confirm.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-02-03 00:41:22

@Kevin_Z 

Hello, thank you for your reply. The console is a concern but honestly the performance on my PC is what concerns me more. However to answer your question:

For Xbox One X

• Port 88 (UDP)
  • Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
  • Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
  • Port 80 (TCP)
  • Port 500 (UDP)
  • Port 3544 (UDP)
  • Port 4500 (UDP)

and a game that requires

• TCP: 3074
  • UDP: 88,500,3074,3544,4500,6672,61455-61458

I can do manual port forwarding and it states that the network is open but UPnP still disabled. Unfortunately at some point while inactive it stops working and I need to remove and re-add the port forwards.

I also went ahead and tried the EU firmware and it did not change anything. I then did a factory reset again just to be sure and same results.

Options
2021-02-03 06:04:18

@Bite 

Thank you very much for getting back with all the details. 

Can you please confirm which firmware are you on now? Is it the latest Archer C80(EU)_V1_201003? If not, please update the router firmware, then reconfigure the network to confirm.

"Unfortunately at some point while inactive it stops working and I need to remove and re-add the port forwards." 

Does this mean you need to re-add the ports on the C80 to make the game console work? Can you please kindly provide the network layout, that how is the C80 connected to the network, is the Xbox One X connected to the C80 via cable or via 2.4G/5G? Is the internet connection on it stable?

Options
2021-02-03 14:53:01 - last edited 2021-02-03 14:58:33

@Kevin_Z 

I am currently on Archer C80(US)_V1 200907 as I am in the US. I tried the EU version Archer C80(EU)_V1_201003 temporarily but it did not work. 201003 is not available in the US version.

Does this mean you need to re-add the ports on the C80 to make the game console work?

Yes. I added the port forwards to the router and it worked for a few hours. Then overnight they mysteriously stopped working. I had to remove them and re-add them to start working again.

I have attached the network diagram below. Please note there are only two people in the house so we're only using two devices at a time.

Edit: Small correction, the amazon stick is on 5g.

Options
2021-02-04 02:00:13

@Bite 

Thank you very much for getting back with the detailed info.

Is the ports you have opened still showing up correctly on the C80 web page when it stops working? As per your description, it seems that there are disappearing?

We have reported the issue to the support engineers, they will likely reach out to you via email to continue to troubleshoot your issue.

Options
2021-02-04 10:46:42

@Kevin_Z 

Sorry to clarify they were still VISUALLY there, but when I would try to use them they did not seem to be working. It may have been a fluke though as since i set them the second time they seem to be sticking. However this is not a good solution as I would need to open and close ports all time time depending on the game / application that needs them. UPnP still remains the same.

I see the ticket opened now so I will continue to work with the engineers there. Thank you for your responses.

Options
2021-02-05 00:55:22

@Bite 

Thanks a lot for verifying. Please continue to discuss the issue with the engineers, they will try to figure it out for you.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1286

Replies: 9

Related Articles