Satellite Decos won't update firmware.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-15 09:07:31
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.1 and 1.2.8

I have had a lengthy back and forward with support but to no avail.

My main deco updated to 1.5.1 no problem (new deco added to network). My three other decos (3 pack) have all stayed at firmware 1.2.8. I have tried setting up each deco as the main router and tried to update, but they won't. Tried directly connecting and setting up each one but no WEB interface (probably as older firmware doesn't have web interface). Reset everything multiple times. 

Now it is not affecting my internet but I had to make my newer deco the main deco, so if i take that deco out of the equation then i can ont update. I just find it odd and basic support was unable to help. I use to work in IT so I am no slouch and only contacted help after I had tried everything.

Anyone else come across this issue? The only thing I can think of is that a while back my devices were not moving between 2.4ghz and 5 ghz so the tp link technicians update my decos and maybe they have caused an issue with my firmware.

Anyway there is probably no solution as I have exhausted everything I can think of and I use to install these devices (100s). I just hate when devices don't funtion as they should.

Cheers

Options
6 Reply
Re:Satellite Decos won't update firmware.
2020-12-16 07:24:25 - last edited 2020-12-16 07:27:06

@BirdmanNZ I just thought of something. Open the deco app, then click on the globe at the top (internet globe)

Then click on a deco, then click on the top right hamburger menu, then click "remove deco". Supposedly this resets the deco to be standalone.

Then do the reset button procedures, and try to update

(I'd reset it 3 times before letting it boot up, and make sure to create a new network for each deco that needs to be updated so they'd become the main router)

Also make sure all other decos are unplugged during the process. I'd just remove them all using that globe menu, and then turn them all off... Then do the reset procedure, setup a new network with only ONE deco, and try to update. Repeat for all other decos making sure the one you just updated is turned off

Options
2020-12-16 07:30:06 - last edited 2020-12-16 07:30:33

Link for reference:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1457/#:~:text=From%20the%20Dashboard%20in%20the,for%201s%20to%20reset%20it.

Options
2020-12-16 08:03:32

@BirdmanNZ 

Hi,

When you set up the 1.2.8 firmware Decos as the main Deco, Are you able to get the notice of new firmware available?

And would there be any error message when failed to update?

--if yes, when it showed up, would rebooting the front modem make any difference?

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Options
2020-12-16 10:56:09
No, it just says it is up to date and never updates.
Options
2020-12-16 10:56:38
ok I will try this and see what happens.
Options
2020-12-16 12:04:41

@J.Erikson 

Thanks for your interest, I ended up reinstalling the firmware on each device using tftp software, now all have been flashed with new firmware.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 785

Replies: 6

Related Articles