Update TP-Link USB Printer Controller for macOS Big Sur

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Update TP-Link USB Printer Controller for macOS Big Sur

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
112 Reply
Re:Update TP-Link USB Printer Controller for macOS Big Sur
2021-03-25 12:23:50
@Kevin_Z Thanks for the update. I have tried reinstalling couple of times and still i face the same issue.
Options
2021-04-10 00:37:14

@Kevin_Z Well, I have M1. What we gonna do?)

Options
2021-04-16 17:16:08

@Kevin_Z Thanks for your kind support, if there are future updates of the beta software, where do I can find them without asking here? Is there a beta download center or something similar? Best regards

Options
2021-04-18 21:40:13

FYI, the beat for big sur bricked my macbook pro (mid-2015). Took hours to recover.

Options
2021-04-19 01:31:09

@EnricoBara 

Sorry, there is no such download center for the beta firmware. We generally provide this kind of beta firmware for the customers who report the issue, and we will then release an official version in the future to include the fix for those who owned the same model. We will soon have this controller utility on the official website, you may check it later.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer AX55V2 Supports WireGuard VPN, EasyMesh Ethernet Backhaul, IoT Network, Speed Limit,and More If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-04-19 01:33:03

@macuser1820 

Is the printer controller utility running automatically when the computer starts up? What if you disable the auto-run, will the 2015 boot up correctly? You may search online for this setting as this:
https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-stop-mac-apps-from-launching-at-startup#:~:text=The%20simplest%20way%20to%20disable,and%20disable%20it%20from%20opening.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer AX55V2 Supports WireGuard VPN, EasyMesh Ethernet Backhaul, IoT Network, Speed Limit,and More If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-04-28 09:21:19

Warning for others (I found out the hard way): there is a reason why this is still beta software. It may work for some folks, but not everyone. It may prevent your Mac from booting, and you will have to get your hands dirty to fix things.

Thanks for the update @Kevin_Z. Unfortunately, when I installed this on my iMac (2014 5K Retina iMac, Big Sur 11.2.3), the boot froze (I gave it more than five minutes from the point that the boot froze). I rebooted multiple times. I had authorised the kext in System Preferences. Ultimately, I had to delete the kext  from multiple locations using a terminal in Recovery mode in order to be able to boot my Mac successfully.

Options
2021-04-29 03:38:16

@CDB  Sorry to know that. When referring to "the kext", does it mean the printer controller utility? Is it running automatically when the computer starts up? What if you disable the auto-run, will the iMac boot up correctly? You may search online for this setting as this:
https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-stop-mac-apps-from-launching-at-startup#:~:text=The%20simplest%20way%20to%20disable,and%20disable%20it%20from%20opening.

Options
2021-04-29 08:03:18

Hi @Kevin_Z, "kext" refers to "kernel extension". The printer utility installs these and they are loaded as part of boot-up before anyone logs in. They have the file extension ".kext". Disabling loading applications when logging in happens too late to affect the loading of kernel extensions (the Mac hangs before getting to the point in the boot process where this would take place).

The printer controller utility can be loaded (manually or automatically) with the kernel extensions deleted. It just cannot do anything.

Options
2021-05-20 05:29:25 - last edited 2021-05-20 05:32:33

@anderscheow Hardware Version: V1 Firmware Version: 0.9.1 5.0 v0032.0 Build 170207 Rel.49213n Hi, I migrated to MacOs Big Sur but the tp link utility doesn't seem to work When I try to install It sends me the message to Allow the application on System Preferences --> Privacy but the app doesn't appear. So I don't know how to go further in the installation process.

Thank you

Options