AX11000 firmware upgrade lowers signal strength

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-28 08:18:16 - last edited 2020-09-28 12:04:39
Model: Archer A20  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.1 Build 20200716 rel.84595(4555)

Last night I updated to latest Firmware (1.1.1 Build 20200716 rel.84595(4555)) on my AX11000 (directly from within the router's web client 'check for upgrades' button) and after successfull update, this morning several devices (such as printer) can no longer connect or having trouble connecting. My wifi network analyzer tool also shows a 50% drop in signal strength for both the 5G networks. My wifi is suddenly a lower signal than my neighbors. Tried power off and on and rebooting, but signal remains low.

Please allow us to downgrade to previous FIrmware build, because this is just not working anymore while trying to work from home. 

PS: please update your forum Forms, because for Model I was unable to select the AX11000 wifi router. 

Options
10 Reply
Re:AX11000 firmware upgrade lowers signal strength
2020-09-28 09:08:10 - last edited 2020-09-28 12:04:39

@Spiemel 

Hi, thanks very much for your kind suggestions, while AX11000 is already in the product list.

Just to verify, after the firmware update and when you try to connect to the wireless network on your devices, is there any error message showing up? Please try to change the wireless security to WPA2-PSK, AES, change the wireless channel as well.

If the above doesn't work, try to reset the AX11000 to factory and reconfigure it from scratch and confirm.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2020-09-28 09:39:00

@Kevin_Z 

It's not in this list for new threads:

Options
2020-09-28 09:42:18

@Kevin_Z 

There is no error messages, because there is no Wifi signal. The signal strength is too low, so my printer cannot find the wifi networks anymore. I tried on 2 laptops and 1 connects but keeps losing connection and the other makes connection, but the Wifi analyzer tool shows I lost 50% signal strength compared to prior to the upgrade. I will try your suggestions only on the channel, but not on the security settings because they are already fine at AES. 

Options
2020-09-28 10:33:51

@Kevin_Z 

Hi I tried:

1) different channels: no effect, signal still weak

2) factory reset, reconfigure everything back: signal still weak. Please see screenshot below. My 2 5G networks are In the Left cluster (Green) and in the right cluster (Orange). 

My signals before the firmware update were around 75-80%, now they fluctuate between 35 and 50. That is 50% drop in signal strength where my signal is now wearker than the wifi of my neighbours.

Please let us downgrade back to the previous firmware

Options
2020-09-29 02:37:32 - last edited 2020-09-29 02:44:49

@Spiemel 

Hello, thank you very much for your detailed info again.

As for the product model, you need to type in AX11000, then you will be able to choose it from the list, as we cannot show all the models in the drop-down.

This issue may need to escalate to our engineers and they will email you, if you are willing to do further analysis, please check your inbox and respond.         

Thanks for your cooperation and support. Good day.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2020-09-29 10:03:33

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks, someone has indeed reached out by e-mail.

Options
2020-10-24 23:36:53

Having the same issue with 2.4GHz wireless after a firmware update.

Options
2020-11-01 15:35:31

@HDLosada I am having the same issues with my ax11000.  Since update I have noticed dead zones in my 2 story home.  Before update we didn't have any issues.  Since update we have dead zones in the second floor.  I have done a factory reset but it does not fix the issue.  I connected a cheaper router and we get signal in the ax11000 dead zones.  Definitely a router issue related to the firmware update.  

Options
2020-11-01 15:36:58

@Kevin_Z  I am having the same issues with my ax11000.  Since update I have noticed dead zones in my 2 story home.  Before update we didn't have any issues.  Since update we have dead zones in the second floor.  I have done a factory reset but it does not fix the issue.  I connected a cheaper router and we get signal in the ax11000 dead zones.  Definitely a router issue related to the firmware update.

Options
2020-11-02 02:30:54

@fazv   @HDLosada 

Hi, sorry that we didn't notice HDLosada's request before, please make sure you are tagging a TP-Link Admin if you want a timely response. Unless we are tagged we do not see that new responses have been added. We do not subscribe to every thread so rely on Tagging to ensure responses.

Back to the firmware issue you encountered with the AX11000, please check the below information, and we will try to figure it out:

1. If it is the 2.4GHz or 5GHz signal is not as good as before the firmware update, please try to login to the router web GUI and change the wireless channel and channel width, as for the channel width, please choose 40MHz for 2.4GHz and 80MHz for 5GHz, change the Transmit Power to High, then save and reboot the router.

2. Change the wireless security for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz to WPA2-PSK/AES.

3. If the above two modifications don't help, please reset the AX11000 to factory defaults and reconfigure it from scratch, then confirm if that helps.

Good day.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1854

Replies: 10

Related Articles