VR900 - degrading after 2 years.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-21 13:17:12 - last edited 2020-09-21 13:20:02
Model: Archer VR900  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

I have had my VR900 for about 2 years now and it's degraded to the point of utter frustration.

Symptoms:

Devices drop offline occasionally.   Like some radom device will no longer connect to the access point.  Reboot the access point, everthing works for a day or two then devices start dropping off again.

Some devices that are connected and sending data every 5 seconds, seem to get ignored and data only shows up every minute or less often.

Left alone for a month the Wifi will lock up completely and drop all devices off while the Internet and wired LAN still work.

The router is running HOT, like close to 50*C on the surface of the case.

It has roughly 25 devices attached.  Most are small smart home style devices.

The DHCP - connected Wireless clients list is completely bogus now, it barely shows half of the devices it issued IP Addresses to.

These problems seem to be gettnig worse and wores over the past 6 months.  I don't need to look to gather it's probably jus tout of warranty.

Also.  How do I turn off the security liabilty such as open public UPNP NOTIFY?

I suspect unless I find a solution to this TP-Link will no longer be a valid networking gear brand I'll buy again.

Options
2 Reply
Re:VR900 - degrading after 2 years.
2020-09-24 02:13:17

@Paulca 

Good day.

For the unstable connection, the hot machine, it is very likely the modem might be broken and needs to be replaced.

As for Opening public UPNP notify, I could only see an option to enable the UPNP.

So, may I know why do you want to use this feature and how do you wish It would work?

Thank you very much for your cooperation and reply.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:VR900 - degrading after 2 years.
2020-09-25 10:57:19
Thanks Sunshine. It's always been hot running, but the degradation is recent. I did have a post about it locking up every few weeks a while back, but the dropping devices and dropping Wifi packets is new. I found the setting to turn off UPNP, I must have forgotten to do so before, hence seeing the NOTIFY packets. Thanks. Time for an upgrade I suppose. I think this device is out of warranty by now.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 347

Replies: 2

Related Articles