Wall penetrating? Is it just be or a lot of disappointing experiences?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-11 13:27:12
Model: TL-WR941HP  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.0.1 Build 20171225 Rel. 60160

Hi everyone,

I just got this huge costlier version of Tp-Link wireless routers by the model TL-WR941HP,but i am very disappointed with its performance. Its performance and the performance of a normal tp-link router is the same , thought the one i got claims that  its a high power wireless router with higher range because of its wall penetration features. Or the wall penetration just not enough for concrete houses?

The range it " WR941HP 450Mbps " shows is not too different than the range of a normal 300mbps Tp-link WR841N Router.

I am glad my recommendation for my friends to try this wasn't sucessful.

Have i got a defective piece or have you guys experienced the same disappointment?

Regards,

Disappointed from Nepal   

Options
2 Reply
Re:Wall penetrating? Is it just be or a lot of disappointing experiences?
2021-05-05 08:34:33
Hey, I'm planning to buy this router to share the wifi for about 80 Meters(I have two concrete calls in between the router and the receiving end). Do you think that will work? Kindly help.
Options
Re:Wall penetrating? Is it just be or a lot of disappointing experiences?
2021-05-05 17:52:38

It seems to be sort of a myth that a newer router will give one better range.

While there are continued advancements in chip technology, the gains that can be achieved with regards to range are likely to be marginal.

The main determining factor for signal range is the amount of power the router and client device transmit their wireless signal with.

However, the maximum transmit power levels allowed to be used for Wi-Fi have been cast in stone by regulators a long time ago and whoever makes and sells Wi-Fi equipment has to adhere to the rules.

So, a new good router model from 2021 will not transmit its Wi-Fi signal at any higher power than, for example, a good router model from 10 years ago. 

What you can get by buying a new router that features all the latest and greatest Wi-Fi technologies is more speed at a given distance, but to enjoy the benefits of these new technologies the client device also needs to support these features.

As for the above mentioned router. If you check the listed "WiFi Transmission Power" on the specifications page you will notice that these values are no different than those of other routers.
https://www.tp-link.com/en/home-networking/high-power-router/tl-wr941hp/#specifications
This router may have better Wi-Fi reception due to its "High-Gain Antennas", but wireless networking is two-way communication. If the router can still receive the signal from the client device, but at the same time the client device can't receive the signal from the router anymore, then the connection will disconnect nonetheless.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1550

Replies: 2

Related Articles