no free IP addresses. OFFER abandoned error

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-30 08:53:20 - last edited 2021-11-10 05:56:20
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

At least once a day I notice that devices are able to connect to the Deco wifi but do not receive a valid IP address, but instead have a self-assigned address. 

Looking in the log I can see many entries like: "daemon.err udhcpd[4638]: no free IP addresses. OFFER abandoned". So it seems that the DHCP server is running out of IP addresses, or that IP addresses are not being released correctly. 

I have on average about 35 devices connected to the wifi network and the DHCP server is set up to server addresses between 10.0.1.100 to 10.0.1.250. 

this problem has only occurred in the last few days. Could there be a roughe device swallowing up IP addresses?

not sure what to try to fix this issue or whether the units have developed a fault. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
[Solution] no free IP addresses. OFFER abandoned error-Solution
2021-11-10 05:44:07 - last edited 2022-02-10 02:24:31

@APD  

Hi, All,

For this issue, please go to Deco APP>More>Advanced>DHCP and change the DNS server to be LAN IP of Deco,(for example 192.168.68.1) and 8.8.8.8.

If it is not working, please feel free to send the following information to support.forum@tp-link.com with the forum ID-224680:

1. Who is your internet service provider?

2. What is the model number of your ISP modem/router?

3. is there any Apple AirPort Extreme/Apple Capsule device for network backup in the network?

--if yes, please try to set up a static IP address on the Apple backup devices:

(for example, my LAN IP is 192.168.68.1, then the IP on Apple:

192.168.68.2/255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.68.1, DNS server 192.168.68.1/8.8.8.8)

Thank you very much and please let me know whether the DNS settings work or not.

Recommended Solution
Options
12 Reply
Re:no free IP addresses. OFFER abandoned error
2020-09-02 09:42:00

@PablitoGordito 

Hello, please help confirm some details and we will try to figure it out:
1. May I have your detailed network topology/layout? Is the Deco M4 working as a router? On the Deco APP, please tap “More “on the bottom right corner then go to “Advanced”, where you will see the working mode.
2. Can you please confirm how the two Deco units are connected, via wireless or Ethernet, where is the switch? You may confirm it as below:
On the Deco app, click on the Internet icon, then click on one of the satellite Deco, and you will see the satellite Deco’s signal source. If there is a Wi-Fi icon on the signal source, it means the satellite Deco is using the Wi-Fi backhaul. If there is an Ethernet icon, it means the satellite Deco is using Ethernet backhaul.
3. How often does the disconnection issue happen and how do you make it back to work? Is there a new device connected to the network recently?
4. Are all the devices have the same disconnect issue when connecting to the Deco wireless or even with an Ethernet cable?

Below are some suggestions you can give it a go.
1. Relocate the Deco nodes.
2. Swap the locations of the Deco, setup one satellite Deco to the main Deco.

Good days.

Options
2020-09-02 11:02:21

@TP-Link_Deco 

The Main Deco is operating as a router with one satellite Deco using Wifi backhaul and the other Deco using Ethernet backhaul. 

I have to reboot the main Deco in order to allow any devices that don't have a dchp reservation to connect. Looking at the logs it takes a matter of minutes for the dchp server on the Deco to run out IP addresses. 

I have resorted to adding dchp reservations for all of my devices so that they do not lose internet access. But if some one visits and wants to use the wifi then I need to reboot to allow the new device to connect. 

I have had the Deco for around a month and this has only a started happening recently. I don't think there have been any new devices added during that time. 

Hope this helps. 

Options
2020-09-21 08:27:47

@PablitoGordito 

Hello, sorry for the late answer.

Our engineer will email you, if you are willing to do further analysis, please check your inbox and respond.     

Thanks for your cooperation and support. Good day.

Options
2020-09-24 08:10:32

@PablitoGordito 

I have the same issue with my Deco M5.

"Thu Sep 24 09:03:21 2020 daemon.err udhcpd[8479]: no free IP addresses. OFFER abandoned"

Options
2020-09-24 09:29:40

@Eric_Yu 

Hello,

Have you tried my previous suggestions? Please provide the details and we will help address it ASAP, thanks a lot~

Options
2020-09-24 09:35:34 - last edited 2020-09-24 09:38:18

1. May I have your detailed network topology/layout?
ISP -> M5 -> pc by cable

M5 -> other devices by wifi

2. Can you please confirm how the two Deco units are

I only have one deco

3. How often does the disconnection issue happen and how do you make it back to work? Is there a new device connected to the network recently?

It happens randomly. I restart deco to force re-allocate the IP address.

No new device added to the network.

4. Are all the devices have the same disconnect issue when connecting to the Deco wireless or even with an Ethernet cable?

No, only one or two devices disconnect. It seems the issue will happen on every device random.
Cable does not help either.

Below are some suggestions you can give it a go.

1. Relocate the Deco nodes.

Tried. Not work.

2. Swap the locations of the Deco, setup one satellite Deco to the main Deco.

I just buy a new one to replace the old one. Still not working.

Options
2020-09-24 09:48:07

@Eric_Yu 

Thank you so much for your quick reply and our engineers would like to help you further, they will contact you via email directly, please check your email box and respond.

Options
2021-02-02 22:24:32

@TP-Link_Deco 

I am having the very same problem and I opened the ticket below today.

[TP-Link Support]-[TKID210202350] RE: Deco M5 No connection: wired or wi-fi

1. 2 Deco M5s

1- Router connected to ONT (located on first floor)

2-Located on second floor, backhaul via ethernet (I've tried wireless too)

2. backhaul via ethernet (I've tried wireless too)

3. All the time. Sometimes a static IP will work and sometimes using a private IP on a phone will work

4. wired & wireless

Thanks

Options
2021-11-09 21:57:20

@TP-Link_Deco 

Hi,

I've having exactly the same problem. I had no problems up until recently, but now various devices cannot connect to the internet as they aren't given IP addresses.

1. 3 Deco M5s
    • Router connected to Main Deco which is then connected to a gigabit Ethernet switch (all on ground floor)
    • Second Deco connected to the Ethernet switch on the first floor
    • Third Deco using wireless backhaul to the main Deco on the ground floor
  2. Backhaul via ethernet and wireless
  3. All the time. Sometimes a static IP will work and sometimes using a private IP on a phone will work
  4. Wired & wireless

Any ideas,

Andrew

Options
[Solution] no free IP addresses. OFFER abandoned error-Solution
2021-11-10 05:44:07 - last edited 2022-02-10 02:24:31

@APD  

Hi, All,

For this issue, please go to Deco APP>More>Advanced>DHCP and change the DNS server to be LAN IP of Deco,(for example 192.168.68.1) and 8.8.8.8.

If it is not working, please feel free to send the following information to support.forum@tp-link.com with the forum ID-224680:

1. Who is your internet service provider?

2. What is the model number of your ISP modem/router?

3. is there any Apple AirPort Extreme/Apple Capsule device for network backup in the network?

--if yes, please try to set up a static IP address on the Apple backup devices:

(for example, my LAN IP is 192.168.68.1, then the IP on Apple:

192.168.68.2/255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.68.1, DNS server 192.168.68.1/8.8.8.8)

Thank you very much and please let me know whether the DNS settings work or not.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2874

Replies: 12

Related Articles