Votes

Guest wlan to VLAN in AP mode in Deco M9+

Votes

Guest wlan to VLAN in AP mode in Deco M9+

78 Reply
RE:Guest wlan to VLAN in AP mode in Deco M9+
2023-11-12 16:37:02
I know they will ignore it but I still have some little hope...
Options
2023-11-12 16:57:13

@GeorgeBark Three years, five pages of feedback from folks who have bought their products, the only official response from TPlink has been, "What do you need that for?" Absolutely pathetic.

They already have our money, why would they invest in something we want and would make their product more useful?

On the off chance that you're not a TPlink customer, you've stumbled across this thread, and you're in the market for mesh wifi access points that you can use with a firewall/router that can be configured with multiple zones/vlans, look elsewhere. TPlink has demonstrated by their abject silence that they just don't care about customers like you.

Options
2023-11-12 17:16:00

@Caribbean-Diver I am planning to sell my TP-link mesh to whoever doesn't need VLAN tagging with AP mode. They are ignorant on this and it doesn't make sense for us to spend time to deal with them. We know we're going to blacklist TP-link and that's enough. Black Friday is coming soon and let's get a mesh product that would work. I haven't done the research as yet, but grateful if there are any recommendations.

I'm pretty sure I won't purchase TP-link products anymore in my life!

Options
2023-11-12 18:20:50

I assume what they want to tell us by silence is that everybody who is interested in VLAN tagging, should go with the business line. I recently got rid of my Decos and went for the acess points TP-Link EAP-650 and the POE Switch TL-SG2008P. 

You guys should do the same!

Options
2023-11-12 18:24:59

@R4HM5P1NAT No more love to TP-link with their attitude, unfortunately!

Options
2023-11-12 20:17:16

@R4HM5P1NAT When I replace these units (not if and likely very soon), given the utter lack of support TPlink has given these units, trust me when I say the replacements will not have the TPlink name on them or be associated with TPlink in any way.

This was such a simple feature request. TPlink could have implemented it and garnered some brand dedication. Instead, they have chosen to utterly ignore their customers. I'm sure others here are looking to move to competitor products as well. Seems like a dumb business decision to me. Straight up ignoring their customers without even responding appears to be an even worse business decision.

Options
2023-11-12 21:10:36

@Caribbean-Diver +1!

Last time with TP-Link and last time configuring this kind of equipment in small stores/offices.

Thank you TP-Link for ignoring us all  

Options
Re:Guest wlan to VLAN in AP mode in Deco M9+
2024-01-08 09:03:02 - last edited 2024-01-08 09:20:25

@TP-Link HI, There is a very simple reason: In AP Mode the network infrastructure is done by the Network, not the DECO (and not by the ISP gateway!). So I want to allow access from Guest WLAN Clients to the DHCP/DNS Server and the Internet Gateway BUT NOT to the rest of the local network. DNS/DHCP is a different server/IP-/MAC address than the Gateway (default route)! The easiest way to solve this is VLan tagging. You can also add a suitable/configurable filter/router functionality for the guest network. But this would be much more effort on your side and has no further benefit So, the VLAN tagging functionality is essential as the other users in this discussion figured out.

I assume, your "allow local access" switch (when switched off) will exactly filter all local traffic but the traffic to the default route. But is is not enough when DNS/DHCP are not done by the ISP router(gateway). An other usecase would be, that I want to allow Guest WLan to access a dedicated Web Server in my network.

With my post, I will stress and explain the need of configuring a VLAN ID for the Guest Network in AP Mode. Please add this functionality as soon as possible! Without that the Guest WLAN in AP Mode is useless. For sure this setting should be done once for the complete mesh.

Best regards

Options
2024-01-16 01:22:48
Definitely need this functionality, its ridiculous its not provided in AP mode.
Options
Re:Guest wlan to VLAN in AP mode in Deco M9+
2024-02-01 22:00:45

I am going jump on this also.  Just bought a Deco AXE5300, going to have to return.

Can't even create a second VLAN on the guest network for the 2.4ghz and no tagging...no bueno.  Return to sender.

Options

Voters 49

+ 45 Voters