tp-link WiFi Router(s) and Heat Related Issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

tp-link WiFi Router(s) and Heat Related Issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
29 Reply
Re:tp-link WiFi Router(s) and Heat Related Issue
2020-12-03 03:17:09

@Godzilla archer c5 same severe overheating issue and loss of signal - please advise ASAP

Options
2020-12-03 13:51:10

btw Archer AX50/AX3000 is so hot that the ink of the serial number on the label in the back plate was cleared off, or smudged, and I am on the latest firware for it 1.09

Options
2020-12-07 09:19:05

@AntonK 

Hello, thanks for reporting the heat issue.

Please attempt the below to observe the outcome as suggested by Godzilla:
1. Put the router in a well-ventilated location or mount it vertically on a stand that permits the free flow of air, and use a fan to cool the router, a regular fan or USB fan is fine.
2. Set the Wi-Fi Transmit Power to low (if the setting is currently set to high), and see if this helps with the reboot.
3. Turn the Wi-Fi off completely and feel the difference of the heat output.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2020-12-07 10:01:37

@Kevin_Z it doesn't matter if router is with wi-fi off or on, it is hot all the time, before I have installed it on the wall, i have tested it for 2-3 days to see if that heat is somewhat caused by the high power wi-fi or wi-fi at all. Router is hot no matter there was no active connections to it, i even tried with just 1 client on it, without lan connections etc..

Options
2020-12-12 12:26:30

@AntonK 
@kevin_Z
I too tested AC1200. Which had the latest firmware from the tp-link site. As per the mail company sent. I kept in (more) ventilated area, but as I start watching hi-res video via stream it(router) starts heating up. I even checked my wall socket connection, but all same result. All the while keeping my transmitting range too low. The heat issue remained. Until I shelled some more bucks for the cooling pad, now the heat is in check but occasionally it rises as per my usage. The mail suggested to bring it to the tp-link center, with growing Covid cases in my province, I am keeping that option later. I tried your option too.

Either there is some firmware problem or device issue which passed their testing case.  Just waiting for the pandemic to end before something happens to the router.

Options
2020-12-20 19:32:26 - last edited 2020-12-20 19:34:44

Bought this router last week and was about to plug in a network drive.

The amount of heat scared me and I immediately unplugged the device to prevent causing it a fire.

I liked the router but sending it back. Not about to have my house being burned to a crisp.

Options
2020-12-22 07:29:13

@Sandstrom 

Hi, thanks for reporting the issue you are experiencing. May I have the exact model number of the AC1200? Is it Archer C6 or Archer C1200? It is suggested to try the previous suggestions that given by Godzilla, and you can also power off the router when there is no need for the internet.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2020-12-22 08:19:13

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks for your reply. Here are my details for the deice below :

Firmware version : 2.0.2 Build 20180118 rel.38979 (EU)

Hardware version: Archer C1200 v2.0

Model name in box is same above (i.e Archer C1200)  with name <AC1200 Wireless Router>

Hope the above information helps.

I have applied the advice by  Godzilla . The router stays off at least  2 -3 hrs in a day excluding the night off. As per advice I lowered the transmit power, now we all have to use the router and get the internet in close proximity to each other  frown. It will be very helpful if the solution came as a software update. Although I am managing it with a Laptop cool pad I am hoping for a permanent solution.

Options
2020-12-22 08:28:34

@Sandstrom 

Turning the device off of lowering the power is really not a solution or an option.

Options
2021-01-07 18:46:50

@Solla-topee This is an expensive router and could be a fire hazard. it is not appropriate to tell your customers to be patient when you know your product is flawed. Please advise where to send the unit back to as this is dangerous. 

Options
Related Articles