Router settings changed back after installing Deco M4

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-23 08:51:00
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi all,

Need some help.

My original router/modem is VTECH NB403.

Now that I got Deco M4 I took these steps:

1. Disabled the VDSL connection and added a bridge connection (see image below)

2. Connected M4 and installed with app

3. All works OK 

4. [Not sure if it is related - I pressed "Save settings" again in the router interface]

Now I just logged into the router interface again, and I can see that the bridge connection is disabled and the VDSL connection is enabled again.

When I disabled it and enabled the bridge connection the internet went down.

All works OK but it seems weird. Did the Deco do that? or Do I need to re-do the whole process?

PS

1. One more weird thing is that I can login to the router interface (192.168.14.1) from my phone but not from my PC (both are connected to the Deco Wifi).

2. The old wifi network (not Deco) still exists - not sure if that matters

Thanks...

Options
9 Reply
Re:Router settings changed back after installing Deco M4
2020-04-29 12:30:16

@YoniK 

1. Normally, Deco won't change the settings on your modem.

In your case, I think you may not change the working mode on your DSL modem successfully, it's suggested to contact your modem support to change the working mode on the modem.

2. Have you configured the Deco in the Router mode? What's the internet connection type? PPPoE or Dynamic IP?

3. If your phone and PC are connected to the Deco, what's the IP address and default gateway on your phone and PC?

Options
2020-04-30 07:32:39

@TP-Link_Deco 

Hey

1. As I said, I changed it to from PPPoE to bridge successfully, installed Deco, all works - but checked again and the setting is back to a PPPoE connection.

2. Yes the Deco is in Router mode, that's why I now have 2 WiFi networks (the Deco one I use and the previous one).

The connection type as you can see in the image is PPPoE.

3. Seems like the Modem/Router IP (192.168.14.1) does not work from my PC since I am using a VPN on the PC only. Makes sense?

4. Basically my question is if I should change the original router settings back to bridge since it seems to have changed?

Since everything is still working fine.

Thanks

Options
2020-04-30 09:47:30

@YoniK 

On the original router, when the VDSL connection is enabled, on your Deco, is the connection type dynamic IP? If so, I think the network diagram is no problem and you can keep the current settings to enjoy the internet.

Options
2020-04-30 11:15:15

@TP-Link_Deco 

Hi,

Look at the image in my original post - it seems to be PPPoE right?
How do I know if it should be dynamic IP?

Thanks

Options
2020-05-09 09:01:06

@YoniK 

On the DSL modem, if you have set up the PPPOE connection, then on the Deco, the connection type should be Dynamic IP rather than PPPOE.

You can go to the Deco app>Advanced>IPv4 page to have a check.

If your DSL modem is using PPPOE connection type, and the Deco is using Dynamic IP connection type, the network diagram is no problem.

If your DSL modem is configured in Bridge mode, then you need to set up a PPPOE connection on the Deco to get internet access.

Options
2020-05-10 05:49:13

@TP-Link_Deco 

At the moment this is the status:

DSL Modem: PPPoE

Deco IPv4: Dynamic IP

1. Is that OK?

2. What happened before is that I set the DSL Modem to be in bridge mode, and after the Deco install it went back to PPPoE.

Is that OK?

Thanks

Options
2020-05-12 11:30:59

@YoniK 

In your case, DSL modem with PPPoE connection, Deco with Dynamic IP connection is no problem, you can keep your current settings to enjoy the internet.

Options
2020-05-12 11:45:26

@TP-Link_Deco 

Thanks!

So it's OK the previous network is also active?

Options
2020-05-13 11:19:25 - last edited 2020-05-13 11:26:44

@YoniK 

If the previous network you mentioned is the old Wi-Fi network from your modem, it's suggested to disable the Wi-Fi network in case it interferes with the Deco network.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1310

Replies: 9

Related Articles