Powerline has become very slow and erratic

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-29 11:31:01
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Had a powerline WPA 7510 since last July.  Been working fine until last week or so.  Now connection is very slow and speed is erratic.  Yesterday had live chat with TP-link tech, basically went through a wifi cloning, got acceptable result (16Mb/s)  within 24 hrs had dropped again to about 1.6Mb/s).  If anyone can help get this sorted I'd be most grateful.

Only change is 4 wks ago changed isp and router (Sky to Plusnet)  but slow down only been going on over past week or so.  Connection speed over wifi remains around 30, it's only over the powerline that it drops.

Options
7 Reply
Re:Powerline has become very slow and erratic
2020-03-31 08:46:06

@corystes 

We will do some troubleshooting to locate this issue and try to figure it out. 

1. What is the bandwidth you paid for your ISP?

2. When TL-WPA7510KIT works well, what is the speed you can get from it, including wireless speed and wired speed? And what about the wired/wifi speed when it slows down?

3. Have you ever upgraded the firmware? 

4. Have you ever tried to change the wireless settings of the TL-WPA7510?

Thanks a lot. Good day. 

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2020-03-31 10:17:19 - last edited 2020-03-31 10:18:26

@corystes 

Kevin,

thanks for responding.

1.  ISP has informed me that I should get between 27 and 38 Mbps.  Desktop, with ethernet cable has, over the past week connected between 34 and 38, with an average latency of 18.

2. WPA 7510 when good has been connecting  over wifi at 25 - 30.  Can't tell wired speed as that's only into the TV and I've not found a way to measure speed there.

When bad wifi can vary between 1.5 and 15  and can have a latency of 100+

3.  Information on the powerline is that firmware is up to date.

4.  Have never tried to change the wireless settings.

In case it's has any value  wifi strength readings are at 5GHz  about    -52  for the router and -38 from the powerline.   at 2.4 GHz  they are -55 from the router and -38 powerline.

This problem is intermittent.  when it's having a bad day, if it's unplugged for a while  the connection is acceptable (around 17Mbps) when it's first re-plugged, but it gradually decreases and a day later will be back to a low (1.5 - 4) level.

All assitance most gratefully received.

Pete Spedding

Options
2020-04-07 11:24:27

I'm having a similar problem with my TL-WPA7510 KIT and I believe this is a firmware bug.

Works fine for a few days then actual speeds drop really low into the region of 2Mbps, despite it still reporting powerline speeds on the order of 300Mbps. Once this happens rebooting the device restores the speed for a while. (Back up to 50Mbps or so real throughput on Wifi) I've narrowed this down to the powerline over ethernet performance, it's not a wireless issue. (The same slow speeds are seen through an Ethernet connection)

When I first installed this kit I had almost daily occurances of speed dropping extremely low and eventually tracked it down to the power saving mode on the TL-PA7010 (powerline only unit) in the kit - when the network is idle for a while power saving mode kicks in and it never seems to come back out of it again, peformance is then painfully slow until the TL-PA7010 is power cycled.

Power saving mode in the TL-PA7010 can be disabled using tPPLC as described in the following article:

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/2018/?utm_medium=select-local

So if you haven't already done this give it a try. Ever since then I have not had to power cycle the TL-PA7010.

However that is only half the problem - it seems that the TL-WPA7510 has the same problem with power over ethernet entering power saving mode and not coming back out of it, and there is no way to turn it off!

Just before writing this performance was once again down to about 1.5 - 2Mps despite powerline speed reported as ~300Mbps, but rather than just rebooting it on a hunch I tried this:

Go to Device settings -> Powerline. This brings up the page where you can change the network name. Leave the network name alone and just hit Save. This seems to re-initialise the powerline ethernet connection without rebooting the whole device.

As soon as I did this throughput immediately jumped back up to about 60Mbps. I believe this is the same power saving bug the other device has but no way to disable power saving. Very disapointing.

This is on firmware version 2.0.0. There is a later firmware 2.0.2 available which I ran for about a month, but it is even worse! Instead of the speeds dropping very low after a few days data throughput stops entirely.

WiFi devices are still connected, I can still log into the web interface remotely, however all data throughput from wifi devices across the powerline ethernet stops completely. Rebooting the device fixes again, for a day or two at most then data throughput stops again and I have to reboot the device again. Extremely frustrating.

After a few weeks of that I reverted the firmware back to 2.0.0 (which incidentally is no longer available on TP-Link's website - lucky I saved a copy) and the problem with data throughput stopping entirely has gone away again, but I'm back to slow throughput again after a day or two.

I have another powerline Wifi unit in the house using the same powerline network - a TL-WPA 8630P V2.1 running firmware 2.1.0 - no problems at all with that unit even after days of uptime!!

PLEASE please TP-Link, sort out the firmware on the TL-WPA7510 - both 2.0.0 and 2.0.2 have major problems after just a couple of days uptime. It's got to the point where I feel I'm forced to buy another TL-WPA 8630P to replace it to get a reliable network.

Options
2020-10-19 15:28:26

@DBMandrake 

I just registered here to support this and keep alive this thread hopping for a response from TP-Link. BTW I have the same problem described and seems there's no solution other than reset the device and/or apply the workaround proposed by @DBMandrake.

I hope that @Kevin_Z could give us some sort of answer.

Options
2020-10-19 15:42:23

@K_LOGIX 

Just read your post.  I sympathise.  With my unit, as soon as lockdown was lifted, I took it back to Currys/PC World where I bought it.

They replaced it immediately, no problem.  New unit is (so far) functioning fine.

Pete

Options
2020-10-19 22:36:29

@corystes 

Thanks for you answer and support.

Would you mind to post the firmware version of your new device, so we can check if there is a new version? Thanks again

Options
2021-01-12 01:28:07

@corystes 

Not sure if this might be relevant. I had problems with one of my Powerline Adapters being very slow. Speedtest showed around 4 mbps download speed.

Eventually tracked the problem to other electrical devices plugged in to mains power outlet sockets in the same room. When everything else electrical is turned off I get download speeds of 25+ mbps, but turning on even just an external monitor drops it back to 10 mbps. Turning on power to my stereo system was even worse dropping the speed to around 5 mbps. Even tried this as the Speedtest was running and you can see the speed curve take a dive when you turn the power on to the stereo. At least i now know to turn stuff off when streaming a movie or music or the kids are gming.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 23951

Replies: 7

Related Articles