No router functions whatsoever when internet down

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-18 02:30:18

There is a serious fatal flaw with the Deco M5 system. My internet has been out for a couple of days due to technical difficulties, and since it went down, my Deco M5 system has no router functions whatsoever. Devices cannot even see each other. It seems the dhcp services of this system are cloud based? Correct me if I am wrong. If that is the case, this system is flawed beyond repair and is going to be relegated to a bunch of overpriced access points while I go back to PFSENSE which never had a failure.

I would really appreciate someone from TP-LINK to

comment on this to confirm.

Options
4 Reply
Re:No router functions whatsoever when internet down
2020-03-19 01:36:02

@mjkienzle 

Hello, the DHCP services are not cloud-based. And we need to do more analysis to locate this issue and figure it out. 

1. What is the led status of the Deco M5? And what is the current network diagram? 

2. With a computer connected to the Deco M5 by wired cable, can you surf the internet? Try to connect it to the modem directly, bypass the Deco and verify whether you can access internet. 

3. Have you ever tried to reconfigure the Deco network to make you access internet? You can swap the locations of Deco units or switch slave Deco to main Deco to give it a shot. 

Good day. 

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2020-03-21 05:07:19

@Kevin_Z 

Yeah, no. It wasn't a Deco issue in connecting to the internet. I physically had no internet connection coming to me house. Once my ISP replaced my modem and my internet came back up, miraculously my network could see itself again. While my internet was down, all of my computers were defaulting to the standard Microsoft 168 I.P. range. So yeah DHCP services do indeed seem to be cloud based. Might want to check with technical support Kevin and revise your statement?

Options
2020-03-23 03:21:22

@mjkienzle 

No, the DHCP is not cloud-based. 

The default IP address of Deco is 192.168.68.1 and the DHCP server is enabled; even though there is no internet, with your device connected to the Deco, Deco will still assign IP address for it. Except the device cannot get valid IP address from the Deco via ethernet cable when Deco failed to get WAN IP address, but the wireless connection won't be affected. 

Good day. 

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2020-03-23 23:34:49

@Kevin_Z 

That is a fatal flaw in my opinion. I have several

devices on my network that are wired via switch and they can't even get a local I.P. Address via a wired connection if the Deco can't get a WAN I.P.? Whose brilliant idea was it to come up with a stupid idea like that. 

At this point, until that flaw is fixed there is no possible eaybI could even comprehend reccomending this system to anyone.

Options