Deco Mesh system connection issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco Mesh system connection issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
90 Reply
Re:Deco Mesh system connection issues
2021-09-11 21:24:34 - last edited 2021-09-11 21:25:17

@JackHammer 

The articles I saw describe two problems with WPA3.

1. Unable to connect, used to be able before.

This is obviously not the case here.

2. Connection is glitchy.

Found this: "If you have an Android 11 phone, and have the WPA3 labs setting enabled, you're likely to see problems roaming between nodes. The device will hang on to a far node until it's fully lost, fall back to mobile data, and only then seek a new access point.

This isn't eero specific (I've seen reports with competing mesh products also), but it definitely affected my pixel 3. Disabling WPA3 is a temporary workaround."

----------

In both cases workaround is to disable WPA3 on WiFi router. As Deco does not support WPA3, consider it disabled in Deco mesh. 

-----------

I absolutely do not dispute that your devices experience issues with your Deco mesh after upgrade to Android 11. The point I am making is you are looking at the wrong cause for the problem.

Options
2021-09-13 07:34:00

2. Connection is glitchy.

Found this: "If you have an Android 11 phone, and have the WPA3 labs setting enabled, you're likely to see problems roaming between nodes. The device will hang on to a far node until it's fully lost, fall back to mobile data, and only then seek a new access point.

This isn't eero specific (I've seen reports with competing mesh products also), but it definitely affected my pixel 3. Disabling WPA3 is a temporary workaround."

----------

In both cases workaround is to disable WPA3 on WiFi router. As Deco does not support WPA3, consider it disabled in Deco mesh. 

-----------

I absolutely do not dispute that your devices experience issues with your Deco mesh after upgrade to Android 11. The point I am making is you are looking at the wrong cause for the problem.

My Fiber/router doesn't support WPA3 and is just a gateway, so nothing to disable. Devices connect to Mesh. As I said, I assume its a "trust" Certificate issue rather than WPA3 itself. And yes I've seen this issue documented with other Mesh manufacturers too.

With Enterprise systems such as in my office, WPA3 Enterprise had major connection issues with Android 11 and was solved by SysAdmin purchasing and distributing CA certificates. 

I did Test a Pixel 5 on my Mesh, same issue as other Android 11 devices, drops connection, doesn't slide from Node to Node. 

Tested on Neighbors' M9 Plus Mesh, No issues at all with any Android 11 devices. 

Alexandre. wrote

Sounds like 'the surgery was successful but the patient died'. 

Anyway thanks for your input.

JH.

Options
2021-09-14 08:20:45 - last edited 2021-09-14 09:16:50

@JackHammer 

Hi, Jack,

Thank you very much for the detailed information.

After checking with the senior engineers, we don't think it is related to the CA certificates either.

Neither Deco M9 plus nor Deco M4 is supported WPA3 or WEP. But we are quite concerned about the deep reason for this issue.

Could you please help me check the following details:

1. When the Android 11 devices drop connection, Did it behave quite like what Alex has described:

The device will hang on to a far node until it's fully lost, fall back to mobile data, and only then seek a new access point.

2. Would turning off the fast roaming and beamforming on the Deco APP improve the network stability?

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-09-14 10:36:37

TP-Link wrote

@JackHammer 

Hi, Jack,

1. When the Android 11 devices drop connection, Did it behave quite like what Alex has described:

The device will hang on to a far node until it's fully lost, fall back to mobile data, and only then seek a new access point.

2. Would turning off the fast roaming and beamforming on the Deco APP improve the network stability?

Thank you very much.

@TP-Link 

Thanks for opening a Ticket.

1. Yes, but when connecting again it after "seek another access point" the phones will show a connected Icon, but as soon as I try to surf, no connection and the WiFi Icon on the phone shows an exclamation mark.

2. Will test again over a longer period and get back to you.

Thanks.

J

Options
2021-10-06 16:32:43

@asciiid I have a similar issue with 2 Deco M4. I have Decos in Access Point Mode

My network

[Main Deco] ---UTP-- [INTERNET ROUTER] ------ UTP ---- [SWITCH]

|- [TV BOX]  (2nd floor)                      |- [SECOND DECO]

|- [TV BOX] (1st floor)                        |- [PC A]

|- [Bedroom TV]

|- [SWITCH]

|- [PC B]

|- [PC C]

A simple ping fail several time(get Time Out or Get more than 1000ms to respond), but when i disconnect de second Deco the problem disappear.

For example i made ping with PC B to INTERNET ROUTER and get issues

I have made a change in my Network and now apparently everything work.

|-------- UTP -------------------------------------------------------- [SECOND DECO]
[Main Deco] ---UTP-- [INTERNET ROUTER] ------ UTP ---- [SWITCH]

|- [TV BOX]  (2nd floor)                        |-

|- [TV BOX] (1st floor)                          |- PC A

|- [Bedroom TV]

|- [SWITCH]

|- [PC B]

|- [PC C]

I think the problem is when the traffic is routed to the destination in the first Network connections i have 2 possible routing, for example, from PC B to INTERNET ROUTER, PC B can reach INTERNET ROUTER trough cable and trough Wi-Fi (SECOND DECO to MAIN DECO). Apparently Decos can use both channel (Cable and Wi-Fi) but management is very bad...

Options
2021-10-07 06:49:27

TP-Link wrote

@JackHammer 

Thank you very much.

@TP-Link 

Have tested with a most of my devices connected to mesh:

1. I haven't been able to confirm that devices hang on to far node, they connect to nearest node well enough but with no internet connection on android 11 devices (Exclamation Mark next to internet connection Icon).

2. Turning off Fast Roaming and Beamforming partially solves issue. However WhatsApp calls hang mid conversation when moving between nodes and return after a while, same with video playback, streaming, on Phones as well as PC's and Ipads have noticeable pause... So this workaround is clunky and also affects surfing speeds. In conclusion this workaround negates seamless Mesh.

Thanks,

J.

Options
2021-10-11 15:39:08 - last edited 2021-10-11 15:43:31

@JackHammer @TP-Link

1. Yes, but when connecting again it after "seek another access point" the phones will show a connected Icon, but as soon as I try to surf, no connection and the WiFi Icon on the phone shows an exclamation mark.

I'm having the exact same issue. 

Wierd thing is, on my phone, it didn't happen until I upgraded to Android 11. There was no issue when I was a version 10. My girlfriend has had version 11, and thinks she's had the issue for a while, but is a bit unclear about it. 

Is there any info needed? Happy to provide any info. I have considered setting up some monitoring software on a raspberry pi, is there anything that would be of interest that could help troubleshoot this?

Info on my network:

- 2 TP-link M9 in router mode

- Both Version 1.5.1 build 202110126 Rel. 59387

- Dynamic IPv6 and IPv4

Options
2021-10-23 20:33:39

I'm having the same issue and it's been driving us crazy. So glad I found this thread.

We have three M9. Problems started happening when we upgraded to iPhone 12 running iOS 14. 

Options
2021-10-26 17:04:28

@asciiid 

I have the same problem with my pair of Deco X5700's.  There is no problem with my internet connection coming into my house. But my devices, both connected by ethernet cable and wifi, intermittently disconnect from the internet.  The hardwired ones eventually begin to work again.  The wifi connected ones begin to work if wifi is turned off and then back on again.  This happens multiple times per day.  It happens with devices that are stationary and with devices that are moved around the house.  

Devices that are having problems:

iPhone 13 Pro.  (Wifi) Sometimes disconnects if I walk from one side of the house to the other.  On the phone, turn wifi off/on fixes problem

Logitech Circle 2 cameras (wifi, stationary, good signals, mesh turned off). These mostly remain disconnected.  Never stay connected for more than a day or so. 

iMac. (wifi, stationary). 

Apple TV (ethernet cable, stationary)

Macbook Pro (wifi)

Macbook Pro (stationary, mesh turned off)

Setup: AT&T gigabit fiber internet, Arris BGW210-700 in passthrough mode -> Deco Router  -> gigabit switch -> 2nd Deco.   All wired.

I have tried turning off the 2nd Deco.  That works better for a while.  But it defeats the purpose of a mesh network.  

I have tried using a wifi connection for the 2nd Deco.  That makes no difference.

Firmware:  1.1.2 Build 20210722 Rel. 66057

Options
2021-12-03 12:01:15

@TP-Link_Deco is that all you guys can say - try updating firmware. Your Deco systems are rubbish, they do not work, and your suport is awfull. I have experienced such slipshod sub-standard rubbish hardware, coupled with rubbish soft platforms. Admit it - your systems stink, and they don't work.

Options
Related Articles