VPN Connection to office network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-01-08 17:57:29
Region : Spain

Model : TL-WR842ND

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 3.12.22

ISP :

I am trying to set up a VPN access to the office Windows network by setting the pptp options in the WAN area of the networks settings.
I have entered the public IP address of the office network and also the username and password required by the system.
When clicking on the connect button the router attempts to connect but then returns a "disconnected" message.

Can you give me some advice on how to set up this link on the router. I can establish a connection using a laptop with the same settings but it always fails with the router.

Many thanks in advance.
Options
5 Reply
Re:VPN Connection to office network
2013-01-08 19:57:46
Side A: 842ND ---VPN----Side B: PC
First, upgrade the router to the latest firmware , or the 120217 firmware.
on the 842ND
1on IKE, enter the Policy name and Preshared key
2 on IPsec, configure it as the following picture:

On you PC, for example windows 7
1. establish a VPN connection and enter the WAN IP of the WR842ND
2 the username and password is the Policy name and preshared key on 842ND
3 go to ChangeAdapter Settings, VPNConnection->Properties-> Security,PPTP in Type of VPN
Options
2013-01-08 21:42:20
Hi Joyce

Thanks for this, however in your simple drawing, Side B is represented by the company server and internal network and I wish to access all of the network through the VPN and not just a PC.

You also show the connection being made from side B, but this is not possible as side A is on a dynamic IP address and is mobile so likely to change it's IP address each time a connection is made.
What I am trying to do is to enter into the company network from the side A side and initiate teh connection from this side without having to get access to the company server. Also I will be using devices other than PC's on the A sie of the drawing each of which will need to access devices on the company network.

Is there an alternate way of making the connection to the one you have described ?

Many thanks

Adrian
Options
2013-01-10 13:48:50
1 You can try to set the DDNS. And Peer Gateway, you can enter the domain name instead of the WAN IP
2 I am a little confused.
so it is: PCs->842N(VPN server) ---internet---- Company (VPN server?)->PCs?
Options
2013-01-10 13:49:41
maybe you can also try to draw a simple topology about the devices and network connection.
Options
2013-01-10 19:30:49
Hi Joyce
The topoogy is:-

Local network ->842N(VPN server) ->ADSL Modem ---- internet--- ADSL Modem -> Company (VPN server)-> Company network

We have tried setting the WAN parameters to connect to the office system and this does partially connect but gets the connection closed down almost immediately.
Options