Wifi Router randomly rebooting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Wifi Router randomly rebooting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
140 Reply
Re:Wifi Router randomly rebooting
2020-10-12 03:24:51 - last edited 2020-11-11 01:20:27

@swuggmaister  @dmk  @Robs27  @Robb_T 

Hello all, thanks for reporting the issue to the community but please provide some details about the auto-reboot issue then we will try to investigate and offer a solution.

When the router restarts, are all the LEDs turn off then on automatically and the internet on it will temporarily down then recover? 

May I have your network layout, how is the C9 connected in your network? Are there any other range extenders or switch in the network? If yes, try to remove it first and confirm again.

Who is your ISP and what kind of modem are you using? Is it a Dynamic IP setup on the C9 WAN or PPPoE? 

How many devices are connected to C9, wired, and wirelessly? 

Is there any other setting or feature in your network that may cause this restart issue, or is there any special operation/activity in your network that causes the C9 to restart, such as high loading or real-time calls? 

Is it the original power adapter on the C9? Is the power stable in your house? How about other electrical devices in your house, are they stable?

Does this issue happen when you purchased it or happens recently? Try to reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure it from scratch, then confirm again.

@Legare83  @vic-s  Please also confirm the above details in order to locate the issue on your TP-Link router, thanks.

Thanks a lot~

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2020-10-12 05:41:11

@Kevin_Z 

1) All led's go down and up again like in restart from administration area.

2) Network layout here is simple - router connected to ISP modem that provide WAN area directly from fiber to ethernet cable. No range extenders between ISP etc. - nothing changed in last 5 years in that area and everything WAS working fine.

3) Dynamic (in fact static, but this doesn't metter) IP as above.

4) Around 50 (25 wirelessly and 25 on static network, but I use tp-link unmanaged switches for that, and C9 i DHCP and router). I use external DNS (another node in LAN), so C9 is not even DNS relay.

5) Nothing has been changed in last 2 weeks when this started happening. I analyzed iOS/ipadOS/macOS/tvOS versions, but they were upgraded to beta version few weeks ago and everything was working good with them. So this is not (probably) source of problem.

6) Original power adapter (this with 2A and 12V). I replaced it using two other adapters from different tp-link devices rated 12V with 2.5A and 2A and this doesn't helped. Power in house is stable - I use external power monitors and have constan graph of voltage in my outlets. No abnormal values.

7) Router was reseted, reconfigured, refleshed using latest firmware. I used compressed air to remove any dust from inside and vacumed it out (but nothing goes out).

Options
2020-10-12 07:29:29

@Kevin_Z 

1. Yes, all LEDs except the far left one is turned off, this one is blinking and after some minuts, it will turn to static light and then everything else comes back on as well

2. I have my router connected directly to the fiber that comes into my house so there is nothing else connected to it.

3. I am using Ownit in Sweden and I am using your router directly to the fiber. It is Dynamic IP.

4. Wired 2 (IPTV box and Philips Hue) , Wireless: Few laptops and few mobile phones

5. No, nothing strange or high load. We are 2 people living her using used normal internet for work/home-usage

6. Power is super stable, it is the original adapter. I have tried to move it to another power outlet but same things happen. This started 1.5/2 weeks ago and has nothing to do with this. Seems lots of other people in the forum have the same issue. It is related to the software/settings somehow.

7. I have had this router for 2 years, bought 2018-08-18 and have never had any issues with it. It started 1.5/2 weeks ago without doing ANY changes to anything in my network. My ISP says it has nothing to do with them, the line is clean without jitter/packet loss. I have already resettet it, reconfigured it manually with new settings and it is still the same issue.

I can give you remote access to my router if you contact me or want to troubleshoot with me. 

Options
2020-10-12 10:16:24

@Kevin_Z 

Hi Kevin,

A new firmware was released last week for Archer A7. Post that the router has been working wonderfully. 

Thanks for your help. 

Sumit. 

Kevin_Z wrote

@SumitPune 

Hi, we will contact you via email, please check your email box and respond, thanks a lot~

Options
2020-10-12 14:37:53 - last edited 2020-10-12 14:38:39

@Kevin_Z 

Hello all, thanks for reporting the issue to the community but please provide some details about the auto-reboot issue then we will try to investigate and offer a solution.

When the router restarts, are all the LEDs turn off then on automatically and the internet on it will temporarily down then recover? 

- The router led will light up 'all of them' then reboot or the router power led will blink but the device doesn't reboot, another led still on.

- On single band it just work flawlessly, tested heavy traffic.

- My solution just keep flashing it until the router get stable state

May I have your network layout, how is the C9 connected in your network? Are there any other range extenders or switch in the network? If yes, try to remove it first and confirm again.

- No ISP, using the router as AP for OPNSense

Who is your ISP and what kind of modem are you using? Is it a Dynamic IP setup on the C9 WAN or PPPoE? 

-----

How many devices are connected to C9, wired, and wirelessly? 

-About 10 connected wireless, when tested high traffic using 3 phones.

Is there any other setting or feature in your network that may cause this restart issue, or is there any special operation/activity in your network that causes the C9 to restart, such as high loading or real-time calls? 

- On heavy traffic like 4k stream, or copying to NAS like 3 or 4 devices on parallel. But on low traffic it ok. (not reboot)

Is it the original power adapter on the C9? Is the power stable in your house? How about other electrical devices in your house, are they stable?

- Using original C9 adapter other devices work fine.

Does this issue happen when you purchased it or happens recently? Try to reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure it from scratch, then confirm again.

-bought Oct 2018.

Hardware version

-Archer C9 (US) v4.0
-IC : 8853A-C9V4
-Firmware : 1.0.1 Build 20171218 rel.57874(5553)

Additional note i reach stable state "not random reboot by flashing it again 5 or 6 time as i remember, not a solution, but it works.

Options
2020-10-12 20:17:19
What do you mean by flashing it? I dont understand.
Options
2020-10-14 02:19:40

@swuggmaister  @dmk 

Hi, thanks very much for the details. To locate this issue and try to fix it, we would like to follow up on your case via email. Please check your inbox and provide the information that we need.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2020-10-14 03:13:07

@dedyms 

Hi, thanks for the detailed info. 

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by "keep flashing it"? 

Only when there is some kind of heavy load will the C9 reboot, it will be stable if there are just normal activities, right? While you also mentioned all the LEDs are correctly on when it reboot, can you please explain again how do you think the C9 is rebooting? Is it just the internet slow?

Good days~

Options
2020-10-14 05:06:40

Kevin_Z wrote

@dedyms 

Hi, thanks for the detailed info. 

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by "keep flashing it"? 

Only when there is some kind of heavy load will the C9 reboot, it will be stable if there are just normal activities, right? While you also mentioned all the LEDs are correctly on when it reboot, can you please explain again how do you think the C9 is rebooting? Is it just the internet slow?

Good days~

well i download the firmware and manual upgrade. let say on normal activities it will reboot but on undefinite time, like few hours, half day. But on high load it will reboot directly, i assume it rebooting because all led turn off and turn on again, or only the power led blinking (i don't know what state this one) "in this case i need to manually press power button". I stream over my local emby server / plex media server, so omit about the internet connection speed.

at the end i flash firmware multiple times, and the router reach stable state on high load.

So i think i got two different symptoms.

Options
2020-10-14 06:08:12

@Kevin_Z 

Thank you. An senior engineer will contact me within a day to solve it quicker. Thank you

Options
Related Articles