Why am I getting "Error Code 89501 Invalid phone number" when sending SMS to a valid phone number?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Why am I getting "Error Code 89501 Invalid phone number" when sending SMS to a valid phone number?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-11-29 12:29:17
Model: TL-MR6400  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.7.0 0.9.1 v0001.0 Build 1

I think a picture is worth a thousand words. 

I have tried every permutation of phone number I can think of.  

In Thailand, where I bought the router and live, phone numbers are typically of the format 0XX-XXX-XXXX when dialing within the country.  I tried that format and several others but keep getting blocked.  How do I resolve this error please?  It makes it hard when I don't know the error I'm making.  Thanks. 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Why am I getting "Error Code 89501 Invalid phone number" when sending SMS to a valid phone number?
2019-12-02 03:03:21

@wealthychef 

Try to update the firmware of the TL-MR6400 to the latest one. 

https://www.tp-link.com/th/support/download/tl-mr6400/#Firmware

Below is the instruction: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1689/

Can you receive SMS message normally? You can use the same phone number format used to message you. 

Any updates, please let us know. 

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:Why am I getting "Error Code 89501 Invalid phone number" when sending SMS to a valid phone number?
2019-12-02 13:02:32

@Kevin_Z I went and bought a TRUE sim to see if I can get a better signal.  My signal is better but I still do not think I can send SMS.  I now just get a cryptic message "Failed to send text."  which disappears quickly.  I finally got a brain and dropped the SIM into a cell phone and when I tried to send a text it said I need to top up.  I will do so and test it.  This is interesting.  :-)

Options
2019-12-03 02:24:21

@wealthychef 

Thanks for your reply. 

You can give it a shot first, any updates, just let us know. 

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1512

Replies: 3

Related Articles