Deco blocking Microsoft updates

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-11-05 08:48:09 - last edited 2021-11-15 08:11:42
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.13.1

My Windows 10 PCs on my Deco network are having trouble getting updates, including the definition updates for defender.  When I try to download the updates manually I get a parental controls restriction that says the site is classified as "Microsoft Windows Update, Pay to Surf" [emphasis mine]

If I look at Trend Micro Site Safety Center (where the Deco database is from) the URL is classified as "Computers / Internet" so it seems there is somthing wrong with the Deco...

I know I can work around the problem by changing the parental controls settings (and I will, to get things going)  But I'd like to know what is going wrong with the Deco such that it is getting false positives like this!  Of course I worry more about false negatives, but one bug could do both!

The URL I'm using as an example here is: http://definitionupdates.microsoft.com/download/DefinitionUpdates/VersionedSignatures/AM/1.305.1426.0/amd64/mpam-fe.exe

(also available as https, but you can't see the block reason when TLS is involved...)

Any ideas?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco blocking Microsoft updates-Solution
2019-11-06 01:31:32 - last edited 2021-11-15 08:11:42

@ajharvey 

Hi, there are different kinds of windows update, like the system update from windows 7/8.1 to windows 10/11 which is a paid service.

While as for the others, like windows software update under Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Update, most of them are free to update.

But currently, the Parental control>pay to surf does not clearly separate one from the other.

So May I know which kind of windows service do you want to update?

As a workaround, It is suggested to remove the pay-to-surf category temporarily and finish the update, then add this category back.

It would be highly appreciated for you to help us check for further details so that we could have the chance to optimize the database of parental control.

Thank you very much.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco blocking Microsoft updates-Solution
2019-11-06 01:31:32 - last edited 2021-11-15 08:11:42

@ajharvey 

Hi, there are different kinds of windows update, like the system update from windows 7/8.1 to windows 10/11 which is a paid service.

While as for the others, like windows software update under Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Update, most of them are free to update.

But currently, the Parental control>pay to surf does not clearly separate one from the other.

So May I know which kind of windows service do you want to update?

As a workaround, It is suggested to remove the pay-to-surf category temporarily and finish the update, then add this category back.

It would be highly appreciated for you to help us check for further details so that we could have the chance to optimize the database of parental control.

Thank you very much.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Deco blocking Microsoft updates
2020-09-01 08:20:34

@Kevin_Z Block Microsoft update and anything regarding Microsoft are not a good move. As Microsoft is a big name and trusted brand.

Seem tplink partner with Trend Micro, they should liaison with Trend Micro instead of ask user to turn off malicious content filter. 
These feature is one the reason why people buy your product.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 2537

Replies: 2

Related Articles