M5 one disc setup only ethernet works

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-04 03:59:16

I just finished setting up the first disc and active with ethernet plugged in. I remove and setup in the other room, yellow then red light. Plug in erhernet and works. 

How do I make the first disc work via wifi? 

Options
10 Reply
Re:M5 one disc setup only ethernet works
2019-09-04 06:20:31

@CaboInterneTV 

The Deco units can connect to each other by wired cable or wireless to builb up a mesh wifi system; While the first Deco, the main one need connect to the internet source/modem directly with ethernet cable.

Good day. 

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:Re:M5 one disc setup only ethernet works
2019-09-04 13:23:39

The first one must be connected to ethernet? I was wanting them all wifi. Didn't see the point of having the first one only 3 feet from the modem. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:M5 one disc setup only ethernet works
2019-09-05 01:14:07

@CaboInterneTV 

The Deco M5 can connect to each other by wired cable or wireless,  to make it work, we need connect one of them ( the main one) to the internet source/modem, but it does not support WDS feature itself, therefore, we have to connect it to the modem by ethernet cable. 

And the Deco is a wireless router, usually it works with a modem together to share internet; if the modem is a pure modem, the Deco will be the DHCP server and make clients access internet; otherwise, it can be a second router or access point.

Wish I make myself clear.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2019-09-05 17:03:35

Thank you I understand but pretty dissappointed one disc is wasted having to be in the same room as the modem/router. 
Really should have the option of being completely wireless. I would only need 2 discs. 

Options
2019-09-06 01:59:46

@CaboInterneTV 

The mesh feature leads that the Deco need connect to each other by wired cable or wirelessly, and the main Deco need connect to the modem/internet source by wired cable to get internet first. 

If you have 2 Deco units and 1 existing router, you can connect one of the Deco to the modem as the main router and setup the 2nd one; for the old router, you can connect it to the Deco network to extend the wifi range.

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:M5 one disc setup only ethernet works
2019-09-06 02:17:40

The modem is the wireless router? I don't know any internet company giving you a modem thats a wireless router too.... 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:M5 one disc setup only ethernet works
2019-09-06 05:35:02 - last edited 2019-09-06 05:39:36

@CaboInterneTV  What Kevin said is:

1st deco connect to isp's modem.

After complete setup 1st, conect 2nd deco to the 1st (main deco).

The old router (exp: archer c7) can connect to above deco system to extend wifi.

Nowadays ISP can give you modem with 2.4Ghz/5Ghz wifi (exp G97RG6M ). 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:M5 one disc setup only ethernet works
2019-09-09 08:03:27

@CaboInterneTV 

Yes, 47Cosmos explained what I want to say exactly.

Good day. 

Options
2019-09-09 16:42:05

What wif nack into the modem/router that its wired too???
What your explaining doesn't apply to standard modem/routers given to you by the cable company. I dont know of any internet provider that sends you a modem that isn't a wireless router in 2019. My modem is the wireless router. So, to 90% of the consumers the first disc is useless. It should have the option to be wireless or wire all the discs you decide to wire(including the first) You aren't gaining anything or losing anything with the first disc wired. I dont think it improves the wifi signal to the next disc same as the modem/router would have.
My review of the system & my customers from my electronics store.  AND something to think about for the future....
This was a purchase to review the deco system to sell in my store. 

Options
2019-09-10 06:19:11

@CaboInterneTV 

Back to the Deco M5 itself, the main usage of the Deco unit is to builb up a whole home mesh wifi system;

The Deco supports regular wireless router mode and access point mode; the main Deco need connect to the main router/modem to get internet first, other Decos can connect to each other by wired cable or wireless.

The first disc is important, to create the mesh network, it need and have to connect to the internet source by ethernet cable; Besides, the Deco does not support WDS feature, we cannot connect it to other device by wireless. 

If you want to boost the wifi range but not require the mesh network, you may consider the normal network expansion device, like range extender and powerline adapters. 

May it help and have a good day. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1365

Replies: 10

Related Articles