Block unknown devices on Deco M9 - user changes MAC address to fool parental controls

Block unknown devices on Deco M9 - user changes MAC address to fool parental controls

134 Reply
Re:Block unknown devices on Deco M9 - user changes MAC address to fool parental controls
2024-04-25 21:10:58

@54RV Well since this thread is about teh Deco M9, that isn't really much use......

Options
Re:Block unknown devices on Deco M9 - user changes MAC address to fool parental controls
2024-05-22 08:22:00

@mna I have the x20 and the same issue poor form Tp-link.  :(

Options
2024-06-11 17:34:58

@7dwergen

2024 and still kids able to change MAC address to mitigate parental control.  Come on TP-link. 

Options
2024-09-02 09:56:29

@TP-Link @David-TP 

QUOTE over 2 years ago:

2022-01-25 20:51:00 - last edited 2022-01-25 20:52:30

@mna Welcome to the community.

Lawrence-C is right and Connection Alerts+Blacklist could achieve the same as "block new devices".

The initial concern about not having Whitelist is that users might fail to add the correct MAC address to the list also due to the random MAC address.

Since renaming the SSID or removing/reconnecting to the SSID would change the MAC address to a different one, and once the MAC address was changed, it is hard to get the host smartphone back to the previous MAC address and connect back to Deco, then you might need to keep adding a new MAC address to the Whitelist. So adding Whitelist is not the ideal way to improve this issue.

The community is open to all feature requests and I am quite upset when I heard "TP-Link just don't care about the issue". I am sure we do care and try our best to provide what users wanted from us. But the issue is we need to find a more suitable solution that could fix this issue and do not bring up further chaos.

Compared with Whitelist, "block new devices" or "adding new devices to a profile and you could set up priority for it" sounds a good idea and I will note it down and forwarded it to the senior engineers later.

Thank you very much.

DID THE ENGINEERS GET THE NOTE? How hard can it be to have a toggle to "Block New Devices"? And there would be no "chaos" from that. 

ps. the Connection Alerts+Blacklist are useless in this case. The alert is not always seen until I resume using my phone, and that could be hours. Also, once blocked they just rejoin and get access again!!!

Options
Related Articles