Office files and others take more than 4 minutes to open and save

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-27 07:21:21
Model: Archer C9  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.2.4

Thanks in advance for any help.

I Have windows 10 X64 build 1903, fresh clean install with stable drivers, connected to router through 1Gbps LAN cable.

Connected ExFAT 1TB HDD to USB ports on router and using it as a network share.

First problem was inability to see network shares on Windows network, solved it at last by enabling SMB 1.0/CIFS file sharing Windows feature.

Current problem is whenever I want to open an office file, it opens quickly for the first time, but when I make changes and want to save, the Office application hangs for over 4 minutes at least before saving and closing. If I attempt to open it again, it hangs for the same long period untill I restart the PC.

Same pause/hang occur when accessing some directories or when chekcing properties of some file. Hangs for a while, then responds.

I have the same behavior on all three windows PCs.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Office files and others take more than 4 minutes to open and save
2019-07-27 21:09:12
If your drive is near capacity, that may be the issue. Also a drive that is having read/write issues can cause long save times. Try connecting the drive direct to one of the PCs and see what speed you get. Are the PCs connected via WIFI or via ethernet? WIFI will be slower in most cases.
Options
Re:Re:Office files and others take more than 4 minutes to open and save
2019-07-28 05:50:22
Thanks but it is not the case unfortunately, when HDD is connected to PC file access and modification is normal. Tried connecting another blank usb drive to router, created a new word document, tried accessing it and the problem showed immediately.
Options
Re:Re:Re:Office files and others take more than 4 minutes to open and save
2019-07-28 11:15:46

Is it slow on both of the USB ports on the router? I have my 500 GB drive on the 2.0 USB port of my router and it works with both my Apple and Windows PCs okay. Not as fast as a direct connect to a PC but nothing like what you are getting. Does a USB stick have the same issue? If you have a USB powered hub, I would try that also.  

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Office files and others take more than 4 minutes to open and save
2019-07-28 11:19:38 - last edited 2019-07-28 11:20:07

Yes, on both USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports. The is applies to files sized in 10's of kilobytes so speed of transfer do not seem to be a factor. I tried with a formated usb 2.0 stick and had a same problem.

Options
Re:Office files and others take more than 4 minutes to open and save
2019-12-02 20:51:10 - last edited 2019-12-02 21:57:13

@Adel.K 

I have exactly the same problem on my ArcherC9 v5.0 with 1.2.4 Build 20190403 rel.63869(4555) firmware. The perfectly PC readable and writable disk sometimes freezes when opening office documents when I connect it to USB ports of my newly bought router. My OS is windows 7. The office is MS Office 2003. The same USB drive worked without any problems on my previous TP link router Archer C7.

Has anyone discovered a solution?

Options