Archer C2300 Bridging explanation request

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-05-15 14:04:11
Model: AP200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 2.0.3 Build 20180810 Rel 62903

Hoping someone with better tech. experience can explain what is happening.

My original set up was a Virgin Media (netgear) router to a netgear extender. Works fine but I read reviews saying that I could probably extend my wi-fi range by getting my own router. So after research I went for the TP-Link C2300 model.

Put the Virgin Hub into Modem Mode, connected the C2300 and absolutely no improvement, even on high power.

I then noticed WDS Bridging.  Looked interesting. Researched it. Go for it. Set up was very easy.

Bridged the 2.4GHz band and then scanned using a tablet.

I can see two networks from the Virgin Hub (2.4GHz and 5GHz) but only the 5GHz from the C2300 but can connect to the internet on all three. I expected to see two networks for the C2300.

Interestingly (or stupidly) I then enabled the ‘smart connect’ and the C2300 2.4GHz immediately appeared but the 5GHz disappeared. While I could then get to the internet it would get extremely slow or drop the connection (to the internet) within a few minutes.

I’ve gone back to the original bridge without smart connect and everything has been ok for the last few hours but I like to know why things do what they do so would appreciate any explanation, advice or comments.

P.S. I also was able to connect the extender to the bridged C2300 with the thought I could then place the extender next to my smart T.V. and connect to the T.V.  by ethernet cable. Is that being too ambitious?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer C2300 Bridging explanation request
2019-05-16 07:51:08

Hi,

For the Archer C2300, with the 2.4GHz wireless brdiging to the front-end router, you can see the 5GHz after finish the configuration only, no more 2.4GHz, vice versa. That is the reason why you cannot see 2.4GHz anymore. 

Meanwhile, for the smart connect, it uses the wifi name of the 2.4GHz by default, while cause it won't broadcast anymore, it is still the 5GHz network name, it uses the chipset of 5GHz, You can check the wireless negotiation speed to confirm it. 

Regarding to the unstable connection issue with smart connect enabled, may I know have you setup static IP for the C2300 which is in the same subnet of the front-end router? And did you disable the DHCP server yet?

May it help and have a nice day. 

Dcumbrian wrote

Hoping someone with better tech. experience can explain what is happening.

My original set up was a Virgin Media (netgear) router to a netgear extender. Works fine but I read reviews saying that I could probably extend my wi-fi range by getting my own router. So after research I went for the TP-Link C2300 model.

Put the Virgin Hub into Modem Mode, connected the C2300 and absolutely no improvement, even on high power.

I then noticed WDS Bridging.  Looked interesting. Researched it. Go for it. Set up was very easy.

Bridged the 2.4GHz band and then scanned using a tablet.

I can see two networks from the Virgin Hub (2.4GHz and 5GHz) but only the 5GHz from the C2300 but can connect to the internet on all three. I expected to see two networks for the C2300.

Interestingly (or stupidly) I then enabled the ‘smart connect’ and the C2300 2.4GHz immediately appeared but the 5GHz disappeared. While I could then get to the internet it would get extremely slow or drop the connection (to the internet) within a few minutes.

I’ve gone back to the original bridge without smart connect and everything has been ok for the last few hours but I like to know why things do what they do so would appreciate any explanation, advice or comments.

P.S. I also was able to connect the extender to the bridged C2300 with the thought I could then place the extender next to my smart T.V. and connect to the T.V.  by ethernet cable. Is that being too ambitious?

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:Re:Archer C2300 Bridging explanation request
2019-05-16 09:29:48
Hi Kevin, First of all, thank you for clarifying what was happening. Having thought about it for 24hrs I realisied that since there was no WAN connection to 2300 then it was in fact bridged as I was able to access the internet. I then did what I am extremely good at.. a factory reset. The C2300 IP address was set to 1922.168.0.2 and DHCP disabled. DHCP on the front-end router was set to allocate addresses from 11 to 254 I then did the bridging again BUT this time did not enable Smart Connect. Moved the C2300 to the same location that I used for the extender and haven't had any significant problems since. I'm now going to look at other settings like Access Control to see what I can 'break' next. Really have appreciated your help. Regards David
Options
Re:Re:Re:Archer C2300 Bridging explanation request
2019-05-17 02:00:51

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply, glad  to hear that the router works fine now. 

Please take your time to do so, if need any further help, do not hesitate to contact us.

Have a nice day. 

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2316

Replies: 3

Related Articles