help to set up router as a signal booster

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-06-11 21:03:20
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WR841ND

Hardware Version : V8

Firmware Version :

ISP : sky

Hi
I have a narrow boat with no phone line , i want to connect to the wi-fi provided by my marina , but because the boat is steel the reception is poor , i have purchased a tp-link tl-ant2409a outdoor antenna , which i have extended the cable to run indoors to the boats saloon , i have my wireless enabled sony vaio laptop to which i want to use a tp-link tl-841nd wireless router to get the boosted signal to my laptop by conecting the outdoor aerial to the detachable one on the router .
When i come to set it up it wants me to connect the tp-link router to my existing wireless router by ethernet cable .
I dont have one on the boat because there is no phone line , is there any other way of setting this up easily ?
Cheers Mike]
Options
5 Reply
Re:help to set up router as a signal booster
2013-06-11 21:39:10
Hi,

You don't need to wire your TL-WR841ND if you're able to access the menu wirelessly (192.168.0.1 in your browser).
Options
2013-06-12 14:39:11
Hi
When i come to set it up it wants me to connect the tp-link router to my existing wireless router by ethernet cable .
I dont have one on the boat because there is no phone line , is there any other way of setting this up easily ?
I have connected the outside aerial to the tp-link router via the detatchable aerialpost to boost the signal to the inside of the boat i just need the wireless enabled laptop to talk to the router to pull the marinas hot spot wi-fi in ?
if thats possible ?
Cheers Mike
Options
2013-06-12 16:02:12
Yes it's possible but you have to enter into the TP-Link menus to set properly the WDS link.
Are you able to access the default wireless signal of the TP-Link?
Options
2013-06-12 21:00:56
Hi Yes
i can find the tp link router in the wireless network connections on the lap top , i have clicked that and entered the password , it now says connected but when i try to load a web page it says ''the DNSserver isn't responding ''
Options
2013-06-12 22:03:21
That's normal because you have to indicate to your TP-Link where the main router is.
Have a look here : http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=227
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1981

Replies: 5

Related Articles