C50 - slow download, fast upload

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-03-07 03:10:53
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I installed an Archer C50 on my new fiber connection. Although everything seemed to work fine, I started a speed test.
Results are stunning: 15Mbps download, and about 50 or better upload. Tried this on an older Asus laptop, but also on a relatively new Peaq laptop, same result.
Also tried 2.4 and 5 GHz, same sort of result.
I looked at the settings in the router, but nothing stands out. I checked the other networks in the air, nothing comes close to my Wifi (I use this in a summer cottage out in the woods, almost no neigbours...)
After reading a comment in a forum I also tried to widen the signal: 40 MHz on 2.4, and even 80 on 5. No big difference.

Just to make sure where the problem might be caused, I also measured speed on a direct cable link to the modem: both up- and download are just over 80, which is expected.
So: the big difference in up and down is only on Wifi, on both 2.4 and 5, and measured on two different laptops.

Any hints or ideas?
Options
10 Reply
Re:C50 - slow download, fast upload
2018-03-08 10:30:09
If you connect a pc to the tplink router via cable, would you get over 80? If only WiFi is slow, what's the WiFi signal strength? Make sure you get full bars when you test speed, and don't run any program that takes up large bandwidth. Speed issue is tricky. Contact tplink support for help.
Options
2018-03-09 01:47:26
I measured directly to the router with a cable, and measured a little over 80. Makes sense, my provider tells me 75 is my contract, so they're a little over.
Laptops are both "light" during the measurement.

I don't understand where the signal strength comes in. It would be relevant if both down and upload are bad, but upload is just fine while download is bad....
Options
2018-03-09 14:31:54
Hi manjh,

Try follow the FAQ: https://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-1077.html, if it doesn't help, better to email TP-LINK support.
Options
TP-support
2018-03-10 00:07:20
TP-Link support is on it, they already requested some screenshots. Hope they can come up with a solution.
Options
2018-06-24 09:07:07
Any update from them?
Options
2018-06-25 19:57:23
Customer service gave me t wo changes to be made to the 5 GHz settings, which I ap plied. This made no difference to the speed. Upload is still 50% faster than download, for both 2.4 and 5.0.
Options
2019-04-13 10:16:12

i have the same issue... very poor download and fast upload.

i am on the 5ghz wifi connection

Options
2019-05-12 17:07:28

Hi, heres a solution that worked for me in a similar situation on my 940N router. check if yours is something similar.

I had faced a similar problem with my new router 940N (450Mbps N-Router) when using with my BSNL-FTTH 50Mbps Fiber connection.

From the LAN on the router i could get >50Mbps but over Wi-Fi it was simply limited to a slower speed of 20Mbps for some reason.

I tried with multiple devices and they all showed the same slow speed of 20~25Mbps downloads/uploads.

I had contacted the TPLink Tech-support but could not get this solved over remote/Tele-call.

The next day after a few trials of my own I finally found the root-cause and solved it and its been working great since then.

The Solution that worked for me:

Since this is an N-Router, at the Wireless security settings, TP-Link Setup wizard itself recommends not to set TKIP Encryption but my BSNL technician did set TKIP wrongly during installation.

On finding this info from the Wireless Security settings page itself, I tried changing it back to the alternate option of AES. 

Now here is the strange and funny part.

For some reason the Router though it showed the settings saved as AES, it seems it never was actually applied it. The speed was still slow at <20Mbps.

Now even after a hard-reset and fresh re-configuration of the Router with AES encryption settings, it did not work.

Then I tried disabling the "Security" itself first, on which I got >55Mbps speed and then next I set it to AES.

This time it seemed to have applied the settings correctly and the high speed was retained and i have never had the slow-speed  issue again.

To confirm this fix i reproduced the steps of going with TKIP and Hard Reset etc and finally back to AES and it has proved to be correct.

Not sure if its a bug in the Router.

Anyway, for anybody facing this issue, please do try these steps. I was almost on the verge of returning my router via Amazon but managed to avoid doing it.

Best Regards,

Thomas

Options
2020-06-18 12:28:10

@manjh  bro did you got the solution?

Options
2020-11-20 07:36:54

@manjh I have the same proplem plz HELP

Options

Information