Tapo energy monitoring plugs - wifi needed to record data?

2024-07-20 10:34:28 - last edited Wednesday
Model: Tapo P110  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

For something like the P110 or P115:

Does the Energy Monitoring function require internet/wifi access to record data, or does data get stored locally on the plug?

I'm thinking of monitoring something out of wifi range, and just bringing the plug back into a wifi network once a week or once a month to check power usage.

Thanks.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Tapo energy monitoring plugs - wifi needed to record data?-Solution
2024-07-23 08:31:46 - last edited Wednesday

@OrionsBelt 

The energy monitoring can continue to operate without Internet or WiFi connection after it is set up properly in a normal network environment.

However, it is important to note that if the smart plug has experienced a power outage, it needs to be reconnected to the internet in order to re-synchronize the device time, otherwise all its software functionalities will not be able to continue working in a local WiFi or without WiFi.

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Tapo energy monitoring plugs - wifi needed to record data?-Solution
2024-07-23 08:31:46 - last edited Wednesday

@OrionsBelt 

The energy monitoring can continue to operate without Internet or WiFi connection after it is set up properly in a normal network environment.

However, it is important to note that if the smart plug has experienced a power outage, it needs to be reconnected to the internet in order to re-synchronize the device time, otherwise all its software functionalities will not be able to continue working in a local WiFi or without WiFi.

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Tapo energy monitoring plugs - wifi needed to record data?
Tuesday

@OrionsBelt hi, my P115 keep on recording consumption's data also during the night when wifi is scheduled to switch off for 6 hours. This is evident in the plot of the Tapo app because there isn't any discontinuity between wifi on or off, also when off the plot shows power peaks, regular flow, etc. So it works fine at least for 6 ours, maybe data are stored in the plug itself. I don't know how much data can be stored, i.e. if it can be record a week. There isn't a technical sheet for these specifications.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 177

Replies: 2

Related Articles