Consumption discrepancy

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Consumption discrepancy

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Consumption discrepancy
Consumption discrepancy
2023-02-04 19:01:05
Model: Tapo P110  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Just got my first P110 smart plug. I have a water heater plugged into it, and tried running a schedule to turn on at 5am to 5:30am. The app says the power consumption was <1kWh between 5-6am, but my wall meter says consumption was 2.3kWh. The only other things running at that time are the fridge and internet router, which tends to be 100-150W only. 
can anyone help me understand where the large discrepancy is coming from? 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Consumption discrepancy
2023-02-07 02:54:03

Hello @JohnDeeqw 

Thank you for posting. What's the power of your water heater? You can try to calculate the consumption based on it then compare it with Tapo P110's data and the wall meter. 

For accurate testing, it is recommended that you turn off other appliances, observe the wall meter value, and make sure no other devices are running during the test (interfering with the test results) before turning on the water heater and then performing the comparison. 

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2023-02-07 10:03:19

@Wayne-TP Thanks for your reply! The water is 1500W, which is what the P110 shows while the water heater is running. If I set a timer for 30 mins of operation and assume the water heater is running at every point during those 30 minutes, I expect the consumption to be ~750W. Which is in line with what the app is showing me when I run this test. 

During the time I run the test, I still have the fridge running, but prior to turning on the water heater the consumption is around 100-150wH. 

I don't understand how turning on a 1500W water heater for 30 minutes can cause a jump in consumption from 0.15kWh to 2.3kWh. I expected the jump to be from 0.15kWh to ~0.9kWh. 

is there something I am missing here? Thanks again for your help

Options
2023-02-10 09:05:24

@JohnDeeqw 

Thank you for the feedback. In this case, it looks like the P110 measured the correct value. I'll recommend you check the wall meter. If possible, perform a comparison test by using another measurement tool. 

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options