Wlan Mesh problems

Wlan Mesh problems
Wlan Mesh problems
2 weeks ago - last edited a week ago
Model: EAP650  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0

Hello,

a few days ago I replaced my Fritz!Box Mesh with a tp-linkOmada Mesh system.  Since then I have had problems with many end devices.

I have a SG2008P switch. An EAP650 (Name: Mesh top) is connected to it via LAN cable at the switch. And then further down the chain there is another EAP650 (Name: Mesh middle) and another  EAP650 (Name: Mesh below)

SG2008P -> Mesh top -> Mesh middle -> Mesh below

The devices are not so far apart but one for each floor

I am constantly losing the connection to devices on "Mesh middle" and "Mesh below".

These devices can no longer access the Internet but I can see the device connected under "client".

I cannot ping the devices from my PC wich is connected to the switch by cable. If I connect my MacBook to the "Mesh top", I can't access the devices either. If I connect my MacBook to the "Mesh below", I can reach the devices

Most of the problems I have are with Shelly Automation Devices (https:// www. shelly. com /), but that was exactly the reason for buying a new stable mesh solution. I never had such problems with the Fritz!Box Mesh. That's why I rule out a problem with the Shelly devices.

From Omada as source “Mesh below” it works
Endgerätausgabe:
D8-44-89-E9-A4-0E

PING 192.168.0.116, (192.168.0.116) 32 data bytes.
Reply from 192.168.0.116: bytes=32  ttl=128 icmp_seq=0 time=8.477ms
Reply from 192.168.0.116: bytes=32  ttl=128 icmp_seq=1 time=82.746ms
Reply from 192.168.0.116: bytes=32  ttl=128 icmp_seq=2 time=4.275ms
Reply from 192.168.0.116: bytes=32  ttl=128 icmp_seq=3 time=3.971ms
--- ping Statistic 192.168.0.116 --- 
Packets: Sent=4, Received=4, Lost=0 (0.0% loss) 
Round-trip min/avg/max = 3.971/24.867/82.746 ms 

From my Computer connect via LAN on SG2008P
C:\>ping 192.168.0.116

Ping wird ausgeführt für 192.168.0.116 mit 32 Bytes Daten:
Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.

Ping-Statistik für 192.168.0.116:
    Pakete: Gesendet = 4, Empfangen = 0, Verloren = 4
    (100% Verlust),

What is the possibility of finding the problem?

Thx, Neki

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Wlan Mesh problems-Solution
a week ago - last edited a week ago

Hi  @Neki_AT 

Band steering is a feature commonly found in dual-band wireless routers and access points that aims to improve overall network performance by encouraging devices to connect to the less congested 5 GHz band instead of the more crowded 2.4 GHz band. This feature is designed to balance the distribution of devices across both bands, optimizing network efficiency and speed.

When band steering is enabled, the router or access point actively guides dual-band capable devices to connect to the 5 GHz band, which typically offers faster data rates and less interference compared to the 2.4 GHz band. This can result in better overall network performance, especially in environments with multiple devices competing for wireless bandwidth.

However, in some cases, enabling band steering may lead to connectivity issues or performance problems, particularly if certain devices have difficulty switching between bands or if there are compatibility issues with specific devices. Disabling band steering, as you have done, can sometimes resolve such issues by allowing devices to connect to the band of their choice without interference from the router or access point.

If you have noticed that disabling band steering has improved the stability of your EAP mesh network, it suggests that the feature may have been causing conflicts or connectivity issues in your specific setup. By deactivating band steering, you are allowing devices to connect to the band that works best for them, which can help maintain a more stable and reliable network connection.

It's important to note that the effectiveness of band steering can vary depending on the network environment and the devices connected to it. If you find that your network performance is better without band steering enabled, it may be beneficial to keep the feature deactivated to ensure a more stable and consistent wireless experience for your devices.

Recommended Solution
Options
10 Reply
Re:Wlan Mesh problems
2 weeks ago

Hi @Neki_AT 

You may refer to the following steps:
    1) Move the Mesh EAP closer to the uplink EAP;
    2) Avoid obstacles and wireless interference between the uplink EAP and mesh EAP;
    3) Change the channel of the uplink EAP, please test on different channels;
    4) Choose different uplink EAP units.
    5) Make sure the firmware version of the EAP and the controller are up-to-date.

Options
2 weeks ago

@Vincent-TP 

thx for your reply

AD 1) The "mesh top" is 5 meters away from the "mesh middle" (same floor). "Mesh middle"  "mesh below" is 2 meters away (staircase). It doesn't get any closer

AD 2) There is no interference betwenn the APs

AD 3) I can test it. Currently everything is set to automatic. 

AD 4) I already have, but it hasn't brought any improvement. The problem is also that the connection from "mesh below" to "mesh top" is not so good. That's why there is a mesh in between and connected as a chain

AD 5) The system is a few days old. All software is up to date

I did some tests yesterday. I noticed that when I connect a "problem device" directly to the "mesh below", I can reach it from all devices that are connected to the same AP. However, I cannot reach it from other APs or via cable. When I connect the same device to the "mesh top", I can reach it from all APs.

But not all devices have a problem. There are many devices on the AP that work without any issues. Any problematic device that I connect to the "mesh top" (although it has very poor reception) works then.

Could the problem be due to the channel?

Thx, Neki

Options
2 weeks ago

Hi  @Neki_AT 

I believe so.

The performance of Mesh network is closely related to the wireless environment.

You may refer to the following guide to do some wireless optimization:

How to optimize wireless performance of EAP products

Options
2 weeks ago

Hi,  @Vincent-TP 

Okay, I will go through this in detail. It's a bit overwhelming for me ;)

The AI WiFi Optimization unfortunately doesn't work because the APs are connected via WiFi. Do you know exactly what the software described there is called?

I have now -61dBM between the APs. I don't have the problem that an AP doesn't work at all, but that various devices can't communicate with the nearest AP. Shouldn't the mesh system forward the traffic?"

I have a device in the cellar that is 3 meters away from the "mesh below". The "mesh middle" and "mesh below" are very close, yet the "mesh middle" cannot reach the device in the cellar.

I don't understand it. :(

Thx, Neki

Options
a week ago

Hi,

I have now searched for the best channel with a Wifi scanner and changed it.

Unfortunately, this has not brought any improvement.

I have also tested connecting the AP via cable. I did this via tp-link Powerline PA7017 which I have at home. As soon as I plugged it in, all devices that were previously inaccessible were instantly accessible.

And now?

Thx, Neki

Options
a week ago

Hi @Neki_AT 

The fact that the devices became accessible immediately when you connected the access point (AP) via powerline adapters (PA7017) suggests that there might be a problem with the wireless connection between the access points in your mesh network.  Floors or walls between different floors greatly weaken the wireless signal.

Did you try to set the Tx power to High?

If you already did that, we can say mesh is not quite suitable in this scenario.

Options
a week ago

Hi  @Vincent-TP ,

yes, I have already tried to set various values. According to your optimize link.
I think there is a general problem with tplink mesh and shelly. I find many people on the internet with the same problem. Also here: Shelly Plug S not connecting to EAP245v3 - Business Community (tp-link.com)

Unfortunately without a solution.

Maybe I can find a solution on the internet.

Thx, Neki

Options
a week ago

Hi  @Vincent-TP ,

can you explain the band steering option to me?
I have deactivated this and it seems to solve my problem. At least that's what it looks like. 

Could this have something to do with it?

thx, Neki

Options
Re:Wlan Mesh problems-Solution
a week ago - last edited a week ago

Hi  @Neki_AT 

Band steering is a feature commonly found in dual-band wireless routers and access points that aims to improve overall network performance by encouraging devices to connect to the less congested 5 GHz band instead of the more crowded 2.4 GHz band. This feature is designed to balance the distribution of devices across both bands, optimizing network efficiency and speed.

When band steering is enabled, the router or access point actively guides dual-band capable devices to connect to the 5 GHz band, which typically offers faster data rates and less interference compared to the 2.4 GHz band. This can result in better overall network performance, especially in environments with multiple devices competing for wireless bandwidth.

However, in some cases, enabling band steering may lead to connectivity issues or performance problems, particularly if certain devices have difficulty switching between bands or if there are compatibility issues with specific devices. Disabling band steering, as you have done, can sometimes resolve such issues by allowing devices to connect to the band of their choice without interference from the router or access point.

If you have noticed that disabling band steering has improved the stability of your EAP mesh network, it suggests that the feature may have been causing conflicts or connectivity issues in your specific setup. By deactivating band steering, you are allowing devices to connect to the band that works best for them, which can help maintain a more stable and reliable network connection.

It's important to note that the effectiveness of band steering can vary depending on the network environment and the devices connected to it. If you find that your network performance is better without band steering enabled, it may be beneficial to keep the feature deactivated to ensure a more stable and consistent wireless experience for your devices.

Recommended Solution
Options
a week ago

@Vincent-TP 

thanks for all this information

br, Chris

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 197

Replies: 10