AX6000 - No modem - Internet plugged directly into WAN - No Internet

2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago
Model: Archer AX80  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.2 Build 20240126 rel.68209

I have fiber internet, terminated with an rj45 connection. I currently am using old Google Wifi pucks, with the internet cable plugged directly into them. Because that was working, I didn't choose to rent a modem from my ISP. I just bought the AX6000 (AX 80) and tried just plugging that cable into the 2.5 WAN port (2ghz internet) and it's not picking up an internet connection. I ran the basic setup and the network is online, as in I can connect via the Tether app and 192.168.0.1 address and enter settings. Is there something I need to configure on the router to allow it to accept the internet connection, or does this hard require a modem?

Please and thank you for your advice!

Options
5 Reply
Re:AX6000 - No modem - Internet plugged directly into WAN - No Internet
2 weeks ago
I updated the firmware to: Archer AX80(US)_V1.6_1.1.2 Build 20240126 Even tried change DNS as indicated in the setup pamphlet and no luck
Options
2 weeks ago

@ub3rm0nk3y 

If you are pluging the Router into the Google Pucks, you need to set the Google Puck in Bridge mode or the router into AP mode. You want only one device acting as a router.

Options
2 weeks ago
Hi. Thanks for the reply. I'm scrapping the google stuff as it's only 1 gbps. I'm upgraded my internet to 2 and that's why I bought a new router capable of the increased speed. I'm only trying to use the tp link router now
Options
2 weeks ago

@ub3rm0nk3y 

If the router is not working when trying to connect to the ISP, most times it is the ISP wants to connect to the old router. If you look at most of the install instructions, you will note that they want you to power off and unplug the modem as part of the install. When you unplug the modem for 5-10 min, it makes the ISP to re-establish the connection when it gets pluged in and powered back on.

Options
2 weeks ago

@ArcherC8 Thanks. I changed the router MAC address to that of my previous router and it works now. I didn't even know that was a thing.

Solved

Options