Setting up a new smart home

2024-08-14 15:53:50 - last edited 3 weeks ago

Hello!

I currently have a cheap "alarm system" from my Austrian network provider A1 (camera, water sensor, door sensor, motion sensor). This service will be discontinued in November and I am looking for an alternative.
Our apartment currently has Philips Hue (for lights and sockets), Alexa and an Apple TV 4K box. Alexa and Apple Home are linked to Hue.
Currently I'm considering 2 options:
1) Camera and sensors and possibly a hub from TP-Link (it's cheap)
2) Camera and sensors HomeKit compatible, for example Eve (can be very expensive).

If I understand the information regarding TP-Link components correctly, a TP-Link hub is not necessarily required. Adding the camera (for example Tapo C125) and sensors is done via the Tapo app. The Tapo C125 is also HomeKit compatible.

My questions:
1) According to information from TP-Link, the iPhone must be on 2.4 GHz WiFi when adding the components to the Tapo app. Ok, that's no problem - I have 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz running in parallel. After successfully adding the components to the Tapo app, can I switch the iPhone back to 5GHz Wi-Fi?
2) I assume I can monitor the camera (live image) and sensors in the Tapo app when I'm not within the range of my WiFi (for example on vacation or abroad)?

Kind regards from Vienna, Peter.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Setting up a new smart home-Solution
2024-08-16 03:51:43 - last edited 3 weeks ago

@Peter_59 

The WiFi frequency that the configuration phone is connected to will not affect the setup of the smart device. Unless the 2.4GHz and 5GHz are from two different subnets, which is a rare case and requires complex network setup.

Remote control of the Tapo smart device is supported by default once they're setup correctly and connected to the internet. 

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Setting up a new smart home-Solution
2024-08-16 03:51:43 - last edited 3 weeks ago

@Peter_59 

The WiFi frequency that the configuration phone is connected to will not affect the setup of the smart device. Unless the 2.4GHz and 5GHz are from two different subnets, which is a rare case and requires complex network setup.

Remote control of the Tapo smart device is supported by default once they're setup correctly and connected to the internet. 

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 116

Replies: 1

Related Articles