C325WB erratic to unworkable ethernet connection

Tuesday - last edited Yesterday
Model: Tapo C325WB  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.17 Build 240529 Rel 57938n

Just tried setting up a C325WB exclusively through ethernet and had the most confusing and difficult set up for the first time ever on a Tapo product. I've owned C110s, C310s, C320WSes, Vigi C540Ses, but this particular model (C325WB) gave me a real headache when trying to get it to work via ethernet on my local area network.

In an attempt to cut the explanations and provide the scenario, I'll try to summarize by mentioning the hardware involved. Current set up (arrows mean connected by CAT6A cable):

TP-Link ER605 (main router) --> Trendnet 5-port 10GB switch (dining) --> Trendnet 5-port 10GB switch (living room) --> C325WB

When trying to detect the C325B, it was picky with the port being used on the switch. Overall, erratic port LED blinking behavior all throughout. I verified that all ports work fine by switching my Apple TV to use each port on the switch and running a speedtest each time. On a particular port (3rd), the C325WB was finally detected. Upon firmware update, amber light on the unit only, no matter which port was used, and the camera could not longer be detected via ethernet.

- Using the exact same cable and connecting a C310 to any of the 5 ports, there are no problems. The C310 was detected. This is the same with the C320WSes.

- Connecting the C325WB to the main router, it's detected immediately and works. It fails to work at the tail end of the network, even if all other Tapo cameras work.

Now forced to unhappily use the unit on wifi mode for the meantime. I was intending to use this as an outdoor camera in an area without network coverage. I've now had to allocate another camera to fill that role.

Wondering if anyone else has run into similar odd ethernet issues with the C325WB?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:C325WB erratic to unworkable ethernet connection-Solution
Friday - last edited Yesterday

@Solla-topee I was actually able to solve it earlier today.

It occurred to me that my VIGI C540S was actually experiencing very erratic connection -- something I had not discovered before as most of the time, it was responding in an acceptable manner. I only realized after checking notifications that it was disconnecting regularly. So it was odd in that my C310s were working perfectly fine, C540S's were working but getting disconnected every few seconds to minutes, and C325WBs absolutely could not be seen. A connected Apple TV was working flawlessly too, streaming 4k from a local Plex server and running 4k shows via Netflix.

I tried changing the switch with another of the same type. Was still experiencing the exact same problems.

So I bought a TP-link BE3600, turned off DHCP, assigned a fixed IP address to it, plugged in all the LAN cables of each and every camera, and voila -- all of them were working flawlessly, all loading snappily. Something in the router-turned-bridge seems to have made them work.

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:C325WB erratic to unworkable ethernet connection
Wednesday

Just received another v1 camera today. Went through the motions. I set it up using an ethernet cable connected to the farthest switch. No problems. After firmware update, it can't be seen anymore, just like the first C325WB.

All other TAPO cameras I own can be seen by the Tapo app using the same ethernet cable and electrical outlet.

That's 2 units using the same updated firmware and showing the exact same behavior. Something in this firmware is definitely problematic with cameras connected some distance away from the main router.

Options
Thursday

@Corpski 

Hi,
The reported phenomenon is weird. Please provide the following information for further analysis.
    1. The model number of the Trendnet 5-port 10GB switch.

2. Can you provide us with a video showing the Tapo C325WB has no internet when connecting to the switch and works when connecting to the main router and a video showing the other cameras are working fine when connecting to the same switch with the same ethernet cable?

3. Send me(@Solla-topee) the MAC address of your Tapo C325WB via a private message.

Best Regards

Options
Thursday

@Solla-topee I've sent you messages just now. Thank you.

Options
Friday

@Corpski 

Hi,
Thank you for the information and video provided via private message. I have escalated your case to the tech team, and they will contact you via email to follow up on your case. Please check your email box and confirm.
Best Regards

Options
Re:C325WB erratic to unworkable ethernet connection-Solution
Friday - last edited Yesterday

@Solla-topee I was actually able to solve it earlier today.

It occurred to me that my VIGI C540S was actually experiencing very erratic connection -- something I had not discovered before as most of the time, it was responding in an acceptable manner. I only realized after checking notifications that it was disconnecting regularly. So it was odd in that my C310s were working perfectly fine, C540S's were working but getting disconnected every few seconds to minutes, and C325WBs absolutely could not be seen. A connected Apple TV was working flawlessly too, streaming 4k from a local Plex server and running 4k shows via Netflix.

I tried changing the switch with another of the same type. Was still experiencing the exact same problems.

So I bought a TP-link BE3600, turned off DHCP, assigned a fixed IP address to it, plugged in all the LAN cables of each and every camera, and voila -- all of them were working flawlessly, all loading snappily. Something in the router-turned-bridge seems to have made them work.

Recommended Solution
Options
Yesterday

@Corpski  Hi, thank you for sharing your experience

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 71

Replies: 6

Related Articles