ER605 V2 VPN Client-to-Site with OpenVPN Extremely Slow

Saturday - last edited Saturday
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.2.6 Build 20240718 Rel.82712

Hello,

I'm getting extremely poor VPN performance with the ER605 V2.  I'm using Surfshark with OpenVPN.  My network has 6 VLANs and I'm only tunneling one of the VLAN's over the VPN.  When I connect the VPN my download drops from 800 Mbps to 19 Mbps.  That's a 40x drop which is extreme.  I thought it was the VPN provider or the ISP having issues but I've ruled that out by using the exact same configuration on a TPLINK AX11000 gaming router.  With that router I get speeds over VPN of 300 Mbps which is not great (2.5x drop) but I'll take it over 19 Mbps.  This seems like a serious bug in the OpenVPN implementation on what should be a quality Business VPN router.  Maybe the router is underpowered for this arrangement?  The router is controlled from an Omada OC200 SDN appliance.  Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated because this is really disappointing. I expected much more from the Omada class of routers and switches.  Thanks.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:ER605 V2 VPN Client-to-Site with OpenVPN Extremely Slow-Solution

Hi @celsius233 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:ER605 V2 VPN Client-to-Site with OpenVPN Extremely Slow-Solution

Hi @celsius233 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:ER605 V2 VPN Client-to-Site with OpenVPN Extremely Slow
Saturday
Yikes. I just stumbled across that spec about 5 minutes ago. Wow, I guess I didn't expect that. Thanks for the reply!
Options