7206 & 605 fail *back* to primary WAN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-20 21:27:16
Tags: #Load Balancing #WAN backup
Model: ER7206 (TL-ER7206)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: latest

I have an issue with how long it takes the 7206 (and the 605) to fail back over to the primary WAN when it comes back up.  Sometimes it seems to get 'stuck' on the backup connection which, in my case, is a limited cellular connection with a 20GB cap for data per month.  So, I don't want the router to stay 'failed over' any longer than necessary.  However, sometimes after the primary WAN comes back, the router refuses to switch back over to it.  What is the router doing to check the primary WAN, how often does it check and why isn't it returning back to the primary WAN connection when its back up?

Also, this issue could be avioded if the router would interact propery with Netgear's LM1200 cellular backup modem which takes a primary WAN connection and switches internally to cellular modem when it detects the WAN has went down.  I can't use it with either the 7206 or the 605 as they both refuse to accept the IP passthrough coming from the LM1200.  The LM1200 works fine with a Ubiquity EdgeMax Lite, but I'm trying to get away from Ubiquity stuff, but I'm finding a lot of holes here in the TP-Link routers.

Options
3 Reply
Re:7206 & 605 fail *back* to primary WAN
2022-06-20 23:13:46

@ehubb 

you don't have the option to set switch back to primary (always primary) on standalone mode. 

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2022-06-21 04:22:14

@ehubb It seems your WAN port is connected to 4G LTE Modem Router(so the WAN IP address of ER605 is not a public IP)

To improve the link backup, you will need to go to Online Detection->change detection method to manually, and let it Ping 8.8.8.8.

Under my test the default Auto Online Detection cannot work well when there is no public IP available on WAN ports. 

Options
2022-06-21 12:37:40

@Somnus good advice and I've tried that, didn't seem to make any difference.  I would love if they would make the ping rate and other metrics around online detection user configurable.  I have a UIS device (uninterpretable internet service) device that pings various addresses and various rates and I can set how long between pings, how many pings it takes before the device reboots everything plugged into it, etc.  That would be ideal.  Here's what their interface looks like just in case the TP PMs need some inspiration.

Options