ER605 V2 not doling out addresses to all devices

2024-07-28 21:24:48 - last edited 2024-07-29 01:26:26
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.2 Build 20230210 Rel.62992

I recently purchased this along with wireless access points to resolve what I thought to be an issue with intermittent network dropouts. The access points are Engenius products and are working perfectly as is DHCP assignments of wireless devices by the ER605. What I am having issues with is that the wired devices are not all receiving IPv4 assigned addresses and are therfore not visible. I do not have IPv6 configured on this router as it is not necessary on my network.

I have discovered the devices that are not receiving addresses are visible on the IPv6 address range both within windows and via Android Pingtools app. They have addresses starting with fe80. I'm a newb when it comes to IPv6 and I'm thoroughly confused as to what is going on and why this is happening. 

I have attempted to upgrade to the most recent firmware (ER605(UN)_V2_2.2.5 Build 20240522) with no luck, it failed immediately so it could have been corrupted download on both attempts and when I tried upgrading to ER605(UN)_V2_2.2.4 Build 20240119 it appeared to be successful but it was not. I don't know where I'm going wrong, but I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Options
1 Reply
Re:ER605 V2 not doling out addresses to all devices
2024-07-29 01:25:52

Hi @kmattoon 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

First, when upgrading the firmware, make sure you read the release note which has written the prerequisite firmware. You gotta upgrade to a version before you move on to the latest firmware.

Upgrade this one by one. Skipping too many versions directly to the latest one would fail most of the time because several recent releases require the HTTPS-enabled and prerequisite versions.

Please read the release note.

Second, if you did not enable IPv6, then they would not display the v6 address or be accessible via v6 as this has been disabled.

When you enable v6 on your adapter settings, it will self-assign an IP address but this has nothing to do with the router if you are not enabling the v6 on the router.

FE80 is a link-local address. You can look this up on Google. Pretty straightforward and easy to understand.

Third, if they are wired devices not getting them, I expect this to be a problem with the connections. How do you wire them? They are not getting any sort of IPs at all? What is the display of IP in the adapter for v4 connections? The IP readings.

For the wireless, I assume it could be an issue with the AP and signal strength. Since you did not mention that this happens to the wireless devices, I will not go deep in the troubleshooting for the wireless.

I would appreciate it if you could give any information like this which would be helpful for my troubleshooting.

The top priority now is also to upgrade the firmware. Before the firmware is on the latest, I don't wish to troubleshoot it further as it could be a bug fixed in the releases.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 103

Replies: 1

Related Articles