help with mesh network and captive portal/social login

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

help with mesh network and captive portal/social login

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
30 Reply
Re:help with mesh network and captive portal/social login
2023-11-27 15:01:50

@d0ugmac1 

the mount is a mix of ceiling wall, otr just put in some place

still don't  understand when you say "performance" for an AP what is meant..as in my mind performance included coverage

Options
2023-11-27 15:38:23 - last edited 2023-11-27 15:39:52

Ok fair question. Let's start with the recognition that WiFi uses fixed 20Mhz chunks of bandwidth, usually 1, 2 or 4 can be 'bonded' together, however the total radio power has to remain the same. What that means is by trading off distance, you can get higher user throughput (speed performance). In your case, with the background noise, you'll want to maximize your radio power per SSID which you do by forcing the narrowest band possible (ie fix channels at 20Mhz, not 40 or 80). This will also maximize the range that the AP can operate over (range performance) at the tradeoff of user speeds. The difference in attainable user speeds in noisy urban environments between AX and AC radios is negligible in my opinion, because you'll never get a broad swath of noise-free BW, and the packet retransmits that will occur as a result of even trying will further kill your user BW performance. So, in my mind, performance for you means reliable connectivity, which you will obtain by trading off speed for range/power.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-11-28 09:52:35 - last edited 2023-11-28 12:06:47

@d0ugmac1 

so in your opinion ac from the 235/245 will be fine right?

You also indicate the 610 series as better solution, and they cost 20 euro more than the 2 series. If it is worthyi can go definitely go for 610. Only big difference is the outdoor version: 610 outdoor is much mre expensive than 225 (which we have already) so that can be a point to think about, The outdoor 610 must REALLY be worthy over the 225

I can anyway mix 610 indoor with 225 outdoor?

so resuming.

EAP245 ceiling, EAP235 wall and EAP225 for outdoor or 610 instead 235/245/225

then i can add a poe switch TL-SG2210MP and the router 7206

To run omada you suggest to get the controller oc200 or i can install it on a pc?

some clarification:

1) i see that the 235 come in wall/ceiling/table version. What if i take all the same model (235, a part of th eoputdoor one of course) so that i don't have problem wether i want to change the position of APs? Same for 610..th eindoor can be used ceiling/wall/desk

2) i see there is a switch TL-SG1210MPE on amazon which is quite cheaper then the 2210. As i don't see the 1210 on tplink , i ask if is it a older model?It is also manageable. Can still be usable though? Yopu said tha for omda a manageable is needed, what for?Just for assign bandwith or more things or other things?

3) they have now an Archer A6 V3 as router. I suppose is not good as it doen't have the omada support right? Still a rputer with wifi would be a good solution as it will cover well the are where it is placed, which is used as office. So may be the router ER706W will be good the same?

4) Just find out that they already use the EAP 225 for outdoor..so one less to buy if don't go for 610

5) poe switch. It has 8 port, and i have 7 AP. I see that OC200 is poe also, so i will finish the available port, as all of these device will only run with poe. Do you think will be fine? I mean if i would ever need an extra poe, i will need to buy another switch then.. Well just find that the eap225 which is there already is run with a poe ainjectro..so i have still 1 port left for any case

Options
2023-11-28 14:13:32

@stefanocps 

Ok, because of this thread I did some more reading and digging :)

While I am happy with the 235-walls for my application (zone coverage, no roaming between zones needed) as they work just fine at that for a great price.  Be aware they do not support fast or ai roaming or meshing and are essentially abandonware from a firmware perspective.  On the other hand, I have been impressed from the beginning by the EAP225-outdoor's radio performance and feature set (mesh and fast roaming supported).  I also use the SG2210P (little brother to the SG2210MP), but with fewer APs than you plan on so the SG2210MP gets you enough POE power for that and is still manageable by the Omada controller. (The SG1XXX switches are not supported by the Omada system-hence the cheaper price).  The EAP610-ceiling uses a more capable chipset, supports AI roaming in addition to fast roaming and mesh too.  In short the 610 should bring you a little more functionality and futureproofing which probably justifies the extra expense in the long term.  The EAP615-wall is the wall version and I have a deployment where it plays very nicely with a number of EAP225-outdoors.  In general though, I would try to limit the variety of models you deploy.

My current recommenation for you is the EAP225-outdoor, EAP610-ceiling for indoor (whether mounted on ceiling or high up on wall), the SG2210MP and the ER7206 mostly because it has seen the most attention for software and feature updates and will do everything you need it to.  You can use a laptop as a controller which must be on 24/7 and the Omada controller software which is free to download, but for the easiest set and forget the OC200 hadware controller cannot be beat and I recommend that unless you have IT savvy people on hand all the time.

I do not think the EAP610 outdoor is worth the price.  Keep the 225 and your cash.

I would actually disable the wifi on the current Archer, and if you need coverage, just add a local AP.  Otherwise you will have issues with devices not roaming or not connecting and everyone will be pointing their finger at you :).

You will want the ER7206 to replace the Archer for the functionality, especially if you get into splash pages, SSIDs for patrons and employees, etc.  I do NOT recommend any of the 'all-in-one' units as the firmware and feature updates tend to be capricious and lag the mainstream (ie 7206) devices by many many months, if ever.  For instance the 7212 which supposedly combines a router+switch+controller in one box, actually doesn't even work like a router+switch, and the controller is way behind the software features for laptops and hardware controllers.  I wouldn't recommend the ER706W for the same reason, it will never be as good as a router and an AP.  Don't do it!

On the POE port count, it's enough for the initial deployment so best bang for your buck.  Unless you know you're doing POE cameras or similar in the near future, I'd leave it that rather than spending 2-3X the money to get a bigger POE switch (with more fan noise) that you aren't actually using.  Adding a few more POE devices can be done with a much cheaper SG2008P which get's you 8 more ports but only ~50W of POE power (about 4 APs).  You can add a second switch to a second LAN port on the router or use the SFP ports of the 2210MP to bridge the 2 switches.

The OC200 can be powered by POE or a 5V micro-USB phone charger just like a Raspberry PI.  So you could move the OC200 to a LAN port of your router and use the charger to power it instead of burning a port on your POE switch.

Options
2023-11-28 16:36:40

@stefanocps 

thank you very exaustive

so i have prepard the list

eap610

er7206

SG2210MP

oc200

I see that both router and switch have the SFP port, this is good to connect the 2 device and save hte eth/poe port of the switch right?

By the way, i see that the eap 610 have 2 supply

• 802.3at PoE
• 48 V Passive PoE

For me is the same as long as i connect the switch to 610 or it is something i need to configfure in the swith settings?

Again..you said that best is to use 5g for customer is it?

Options
2023-11-28 17:18:51

@stefanocps 

The EAP610 will work without further configuration when plugged into the SG2210MP.  It will autodetect active POE and supply power as approriate.

Good thinking on using the SFP port, but the 7206 SFP is only for WAN use.  You could however use the SFP port on the SG2210MP with a Gigabit Copper SFP and connect that to one of the copper LAN ethernet ports on the 7206.  Cheaper and same speed and you save a POE port...but probably spend 60EUR on the SFP.

I think 5G is a win for your customers...you have many more channels available, so you don't have to re-use channels like you would at 2.4G, plus it doesn't propagate as far, meaning you are less likely to be interfered with by your neighbours.  I would reserve 2.4 for use by payment terminals and other IOT gear owned by the business.

Once you deploy, you can experiment with enabling it for clients, but I'm giving you the conservative initial state with most chance for success :)

Options
2023-11-28 17:36:44

@stefanocps 

For completeness sake, the 2210MP has 150W of POE power budget available.

The EAP610 require 13.7W ea in the EU and the EAP225-outdoor 10.5W and the OC200 about 4W, so assuming

6 x 610 @ 13.7   82.2W

1 x 225 @ 10.5   10.5W

1 x OC200 @ 4   4W

Or about 97W total, so plenty of headroom but you can see why you need it over the 2210P which only has 60W.

That said, you could consider the SG2016P which has 120W, 8POE ports and 8 regular ethernet ports (and no SFPs but unless you need fibre, you're fine).  From what I can see on my local amazon, the 2016 is about 25% more than the 2210, but it is cheaper than a 2210MP+SFP :) and leaves you ports for expansion, testing etc.

Options
2023-11-30 11:10:43

@d0ugmac1 

to tell the truth..

all the indoor ap's have ac available (noow they are connected with ac) and i see the 610 has both option, power supply and poe. The outdoor is only poe and there is a poe adptor for it. So is it poe much better than normal power supply? otherwise we can get a normal switch, or a switch that has may  be 4 or 2 poe and 8 normal (can't check now the models available)..that's for the sake of saving money of course

Options
2023-11-30 13:37:57

@stefanocps 

If you have AC power nearby every AP you are quite lucky--most don't :).

I agree it is cheaper, however, for a few more euros, here's what I like about POE

1. POE switch centralizes your network power to 1 power supply, with AC adapters...they can all fail individually all over the building (hassle to find/fix)

2. Centralized power means you can use a UPS which keeps the network up and running during minor power glitches

3. POE Ports are remote controllable via the Omada controller, so you can reboot 1 or more APs while not on site

4. Fewer unsightly wires/plugs

5. You can set a POE schedule, which powers down (all/most?) the APs outside of business hours (so the neighbours don't all steal it to Netflix and chill :)

Options
2023-11-30 16:15:25

@d0ugmac1 

some of them are really gamechanger function

indeed a poe is better..expecially if th eprice is not so much higher

Options
Related Articles